Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My First MHS Project - IT'S DONE!!!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Default My First MHS Project - IT'S DONE!!!

i am finally gonna build my first mhs saber. i will probably buy it in late january/early february. this will be my question and progress update.
    currently, i am thinking that it will be emitter #4, then teh V-Grooved ribbed extension, then the double threaded hilt #3, and for teh pommel it will be emitter #6 with a crystal chamber in it. this saber will have claws and i am thinking a 5 watt green with corbins board and mr sound.

first off, can anyone tell me how long the rechargeable battery pack is? i need to make sure everything will fit

any opinions on looks/color ideas welcome!
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Rechargable pack is about 4" long. It's 4AA so that's how you figure it out.

5W and MR sound... have fun. :P I just ordered some more MHS stuff. I'm going to have fun with the most kick butt "padawan" saber ever.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Rechargable pack is about 4" long. It's 4AA so that's how you figure it out.

5W and MR sound... have fun. :P
    k, thanks
    what do ya mean by "have fun"? something tells me it ain't good

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, the wiring is already "fun" with Corbin's + MR... adding a voltage regulator that will probably need heatsinking.

To really pull the most out of Corbin's you should be at least a volt above the forward voltage. So that's about the 8V range... a 7.2V li-ion pack needs a heatsink when regulated to 5V. Unless you do some extra thought working it out it will be... FUN.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

so are ya thinking no rechargeable batt pack or just going with the hasbro sound card?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You could do rechargeable... just not the one in the store. That one is a NiMH. It's only 4.8V. That doesn't even really light a 5W.

You'd have to figure out how much heat the regulator might have to burn. Figure out the voltage it's shunting. With Corbin's that's around how many watts of heat it'd be giving of. For a 3W with a 7.2V pack that's around 2W... no way you'd get away with the same thing on a 5W without darn good heatsinking for the regulator itself.

We can go on and on with options out the wazoo... are you dead set on a 5W?
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Ok, go get me a Diet Dr. Pepper.
    With using a ribbed ext. and a hilt you will have all the flippin room in the world so don't worry about that.
    Is a 5w really what you want? With using Tim's 7.2 recharge pack you could use a 3w and Corbin's board and have a nice bright saber. or a K2 with a MR board. (This would be an overdrive setup so keep that in mind, I hear xwing rumbling that I am nut's again)

What is it that you really want in this saber?

If it is 5w and sound maybe using the buckpuck setup would be to your liking. from there you could add sound and even a small second power cell if you didn't want to waste battery life. switching options are more then we can think of.

If it is using the Corbin driver maybe going with the 3w green and whatever else would be the way. Remember, with the Corbin it is supposed to look overdrived.(read brite!)

Anyway, time to tuck in the kids. These are some thoughts for you.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

7.2V and an MR board would probably be about right for a K2. 6V is around 1300mA though (that's what I might try on my padawan saber) . That's a good spot for a K2. At 7.2V (8.4 at initial charge) I'd be afraid of the MR failing eventually, which Ultra said happens.

buckpuck at 6V would be nice for a 5W too. Tons of options. I like that.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i want this saber to be nice and bright. i am fine with a k2 or a 5 watter and maybe a 3 watt. james, i want in this saber
    A)very bright
    B)sound-preferrably mr but i would to hasbro if need be
    C)cool looks

which setup would be the easiest to do? a buckpuck or corbin driver? remebering i DO want sound on this saber invariably

so from what you guys said i am best off with regular batteries, right?

I have actually been thinking hard on rechargables only because of room.

I can get a 3volt that is the same size as a standard AA and all the sudden I have some new possibilities. Even more so in that they come in all kinds of sizes.
    I did a hilt not to long ago that had a 3w, Hasbro sound, buckpuck, and a slide switch in a MHS that was a bladeholder,ribbed,f/f ext.,pommel. Nice little Padawan setup. brite as heck and powered by DL123As

If you want simple, go with Alkalines though. Everything is in the store ready to go.

A 3w green with Corbin's driver would be WAY BRIGHT! and cool.

Oh so many options. And I am in shock that xwing actually agrees with me :P
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"