Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Etching with sodium hydroxide?

Default Etching with sodium hydroxide?

So, I am planning on doing some etching on my next saber. I read that aluminum reacts with sodium hydroxide (lye) to form hydrogen gas. Has anyone tried etching a saber with it? My biggest concern would be finding a shielding material that would not be dissolved by the base...I don't know if packing tape would do it.

Force Aware

When in doubt, do a test piece! I have not used sodium hydroxide before, though I recently used the Root Kill method (copper sulfate) and the results were pretty satisfactory. It took me about 2 hours total to etch my entire hilt (aluminum extension from TCSS) and I was rather pleased with how my packing tape/vinyl sticker resists held up.

I use saltwater and DC electricity to etch. It produces very small traces of hydrogen gas but not enough to be concerned about. I use black vinyl tape to cover areas I do not wish to be etched. However if you are referring to the just the image that is to be etched, laser printer toner, paint, vinyl stickers made using a die-cutting machine and clear packaging tape are what are normally used as a resist.

I have also tried copper sulfate (crystals, not liquid) mixed with saltwater. It requires no electricity and depending on the ratio of ingredients to water, can eat the aluminum very fast. In my experiments, it was too fast to provide quality etching. Though more water and less salt and copper sulfate may have worked better.
    Last edited by ARKM; 04-08-2015 at 09:36 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

From experience and seeing what others have done I would say your best bet is to go with the salt water and electricity method. The results are very easy to control and the lines are very crisp. You can get amazing results and very detailed. The resists you can use are vinyl printed design, electrical tape(vinyl tape), and I have heard that even sharpie marker works tho I have not tried it. I used a modified version of this methid and got some excelent results. And it is very easy to do.

Thanks for the advice folks! I decided to give the salt-water and electricity a go...

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

That came out rather nicely. Good job. What did you use for your resist?
    Last edited by DarthFender; 04-08-2015 at 06:35 PM.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFender View Post
    That came out rather nicely. Good job. What did you use for your resist?
    I used clear packing tape, and cut out the patterns with a razor blade. The packing tape let some water through, so I might try vinyl tape for the next test piece.

Force Aware

for saltwater etching, i've used nail polish as a resist and it turns out quite fine

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigz View Post
    for saltwater etching, i've used nail polish as a resist and it turns out quite fine
    Just regular nail polish?