Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AAA battery holder question

Default AAA battery holder question

Hi all, I'm a first time builder. I'm so glad I found this forum! But there's one question I can't find the answer to, either here or on the TCSS store page.

I'm using 1" pvc pipe for the central portion of my saber, with 1 1/4" Pipe sections for overlay details. It's going to be a simple build, with only battery holder, LED, switch and resistor. Depending on how it turns out, I may upgrade to sound later.

Anyway, I can't find the dimensions of the 4AAA battery holders. Will any of them fit within a 1" inner diameter PVC pipe? Or do I have to solder two 2AAA holders together? I've soldered before, but never two battery holders, so I'm a little apprehensive about that ...

Thanks in advance, and like I said, I'm glad I found this place - lots of great ideas and tutorials here!

FencerScott

You can fit a 3AAA battery holder in a 1" PVC pipe. I don't believe you can fit a 4AAA pack in there unless they're in a 2x2 configuration.

If you have to go in a 2x2 setup, I'd upgrade to AA for more runtime. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4A...der--P134.aspx will work nicely.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I happen to have both of those parts here and unfortunately, no the battery pack does not fit inside the 1" i.d. pvc. The 4AAA holder is too wide across the corners, and it doesn't look like you could remove enough material from the corners to make it fit without getting to the spring contacts. you may have to use the two 2AAA holder solution you suggested, or you could step up to a rechargeable battery pack.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Yeah your best bet is to go with a 7.4v li-ion pack. You will get better run time. And if you can get away with a single 18650/18500 you can save a ton of space. I used a 18650 in my PVC saber which is mainly 1" pipe and I have enough room in there for a ton more stuff.

Thanks so much! You're saving me a ton of grief and money in ordering parts. So, if I build with a Li-ion pack, I'll need to work in a recharge port, too, right?

I'm marking off places for set screws and the blade holder at the moment. If I understand other posts on this forum, I should allow 1 1/2 inches of depth for the blade holder, another couple of inches for the LED assembly (lens, heat sink, lens holder, and blade stop), and 4 inches for the 2x2 AA battery holder, or however long the 18650 is. Do those measurements seem about right?

Again, thanks. I was inspired to do this after my 4 year old did the "build your own lightsaber" thing at Disney World and then I saw Jay-gon's PVC saber instructions on Pinterest. I think I'm going to be addicted to this, once I figure out what I'm doing!

My pvc saber tutorial is on pinterest? Interesting. I've never posted it there, must be someone else did.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Nope...not my tutorial. Mime is here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...l=1#post138540
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 04-07-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Oh, my bad. I found both of them almost at the same time. Must have been confused. Sorry.

No worries...that's a good tutorial, more in-depth than the one I wrote.