Thread: Wiring Check: Prizm 3.5, RGB TriCree, Accent LEDs

Default Wiring Check: Prizm 3.5, RGB TriCree, Accent LEDs

I think this is finally ready to be torn apart, my first wiring diagram for one of these sabers. I was originally planning to use a NB, but with stock unavailable I decided to research the Prizm instead and I like the extra features it offers. If I don't manage to commit to this before NBs are back in stock I will probably opt to save the money vs extra features.

I will probably use all four accent LED pads, but for simplicity I omitted a couple since those circuits are the same.

Things left to ponder: RGB accent LEDs to match blade color...

Edit: Added RICE port to diagram
    Last edited by solaren; 03-29-2015 at 02:55 AM.

So far so good, the resistor values look a bit high, but otherwise everything seems good to me.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yeah, they are a bit high. The calculator I was using rounded to the nearest common resistor, but unlike the one commonly linked from linear1.org also shows the actual values. The values I got from the calculator at ledcalc.com were:

Red: 1.11 Ohm and 1 W
    Green: 0.12 Ohm and 1/8 W
    Blue: 0.29 Ohm and 1/8 W

If I understand correctly, the wattage is kind of a buffer and more doesn't really hurt so I matched what the calculator recommended on the Ohms and found the lowest Watt resistor from the store here. I may look around for some < 1Ohm resistors before I place this final order.

I would use the drive setting of the prizm since it is intended for situations like those, but this line from the manual has me a little skeptical since I don't have the tools to check it:

The user must also understand that the forward voltage of an LED or die cannot just
    be "guessed" from the spec sheet of the LED which only provides an average value.
    For best performance, the LED Vf must be measured using a bench power supply

You would be better off not using the drive settings too much. The heat that they can generate can cause false swings, clashes, etc. Using the typical Vf is a pretty good way to go - you'll live and the saber will be pretty bright.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Found a source for some 0.47 Ohm resistors and a 1.2 Ohm 1W resistor as well, drawing updated with new values.