Thread: LED chain blade help, first build

Default LED chain blade help, first build

So I'm looking to put together an extra long saber (we're talking 55 inch blade, probably a two foot handle) using the LED chain method to preserve the brightness, and I've been reading a lot but I can't tell what would work best for a blade type. I see a lot of different types, but I haven't found anything stating what I'm actually looking for. What would you guys think is the best material for that long of a blade, with some dueling capability (mainly something that can hold its shape and won't snap when it hits a wall or something)? If you have something good, maybe a link to a cheap source (not necessary, but I'm kinda lazy and it'd be nice)

You can buy poly-carbonate (lexan) tubes in 8 foot lengths from online plastic suppliers.

You do realize that your weapon you described will be six and a half feet long. It will be 20 inches longer than a Scottish Claymore (59"). You are not going to be able to do many of the spinning moves with it because you will be hitting the ground all the time.

Thanks, I'll do some checking around

And yeah I didn't think the measurements 100% through, I'll definitely have to shave some off, but I am going for a massive look. Just not a 'Darth Sephiroth' massive (for now) haha

Welcome to the Forums.

Yeah, I think you really need to rethink the dimensions of what you are trying to do.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

At that length, the blade is going to flex a LOT. To minimize flexing, you'd need a thick walled blade, and that'll just add a ton of weight. This will be a showpiece, not really suitable for dueling.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by S17s17 View Post
    Thanks, I'll do some checking around

And yeah I didn't think the measurements 100% through, I'll definitely have to shave some off, but I am going for a massive look. Just not a 'Darth Sephiroth' massive (for now) haha
    I actually love the 'Darth Sephiroth' idea lol! Like the others have said, that length is not going to be ideal for dueling, but it would certainly be memorable (i.e. Sephiroth's Blade)!

If you do want to duel with it, its all going to be a matter of balancing the impressive length with actual functionality... and since Sevinzol already brought up the Scottish Claymore, I am just going to add that a way to achieve that balance may be to do a little research on that sword's dimensions (and those of similar historical long swords) to see their blade and hilt lengths

Yeah, as soon as I finished typing Darth Sephiroth I knew I was doomed... I made a mock-up for length out of a weight bar and a big stick last night and while it is incredibly big and somewhat unwieldy, I think it's doable. Keep in mind, I'm about 5-11 myself, so this thing's just a tad taller than I am with a shorter hilt (a super long one just ins't necessary, I'm already going to look insane), and that means it's almost the same height as my ceiling, so haven't done a proper swing test as of yet
    And at this point, extra weight for a thicker blade isn't a big deal, I just want it to not break when it does hit things, I'm planning on making a regular-sized saber for actually dueling (because who would be dumb enough to take on the guy with the six foot saber to begin with? Really?), and because I just like lightsabers and hoarding functioning models is something I look forward to haha

Quote Originally Posted by S17s17 View Post
    Yeah, as soon as I finished typing Darth Sephiroth I knew I was doomed... I made a mock-up for length out of a weight bar and a big stick last night and while it is incredibly big and somewhat unwieldy, I think it's doable. Keep in mind, I'm about 5-11 myself, so this thing's just a tad taller than I am with a shorter hilt (a super long one just ins't necessary, I'm already going to look insane), and that means it's almost the same height as my ceiling, so haven't done a proper swing test as of yet
    And at this point, extra weight for a thicker blade isn't a big deal, I just want it to not break when it does hit things, I'm planning on making a regular-sized saber for actually dueling (because who would be dumb enough to take on the guy with the six foot saber to begin with? Really?), and because I just like lightsabers and hoarding functioning models is something I look forward to haha
    My longest string blade I made is almost 40 inches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RV61nh4llI

Any longer and I think there will be an unwanted amount of flex. Wielding this blade is very cool, and it gives the feeling I think you are looking for.
    The cool thing about the string blade is... assuming you will have a DIN side in your hilt... is that you can use a shorter blade in the same or another color if you want. You can plug and play many different blades and just keep building them longer if you are not satisfied with the length. But the blade can only sit in the hilt 2 inches... you will severely weaken the strength of the emitter connection if you keep lengthening the blade past 4o inches.
    Ancient, reliable and civilized.