Thread: speaker mount in a ribbed extension

Default speaker mount in a ribbed extension

I have been searching for a way to mount a speaker in my saber. I have my pommel connected to a ribbed extension. I can't find a speaker mount that will fit in the ribbed extension. Is there one I just haven't found or am I just S.O.L. on having sound with this setup? I don't believe the 28mm speakers will fit so I would have to use the 20mm. But there is a mount for it. Am I blind or is it just not an option? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalan the Exiled View Post
    I have been searching for a way to mount a speaker in my saber. I have my pommel connected to a ribbed extension. I can't find a speaker mount that will fit in the ribbed extension. Is there one I just haven't found or am I just S.O.L. on having sound with this setup? I don't believe the 28mm speakers will fit so I would have to use the 20mm. But there is a mount for it. Am I blind or is it just not an option? PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    There are no official speaker holders for the 20mm speakers. However, you might find that the LED holders make a nice little holder, depending on how you rig it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

For my ribbed section I used the MHS speaker mount V4 http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...kers-P661.aspx

I had to cut the bottom of it down to fit flush with the end of the ribbed section so the pommel could screw down all the way. Not sure if this would work with other ribbed sections and pommel combinations.

IMAG1592.jpgIMAG1593.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sks1138 View Post
    For my ribbed section I used the MHS speaker mount V4 http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...kers-P661.aspx

I had to cut the bottom of it down to fit flush with the end of the ribbed section so the pommel could screw down all the way. Not sure if this would work with other ribbed sections and pommel combinations.

IMAG1592.jpgIMAG1593.jpg
    What speaker is that? it looks like you sanded the whole thing down so it would slide into your ribbed piece am I right? I will have to try it. Looks like the only option I have so far. And not to expensive.
    Last edited by Thalan the Exiled; 03-21-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalan the Exiled View Post
    What speaker is that? it looks like you sanded the whole thing down so it would slide into your ribbed piece am I right? I will have to try it. Looks like the only option I have so far. And not to expensive.
    It's the 28mm bass speaker. No sanding at all. The speaker mount fits nicely in the pommel. Not sure how this would work with other pommels. I just had to cut a little bit off the back end with a band saw. I didn't use the mount like it was intended, with the threaded rods since the ID of the ribbed section is smaller.

Cool thanks for the help. Has anyone ever looked at a site called shapways.com? Wouldnt mention it but they have things not available here. Specificaly they have alot of different sized chassis parts. Like I said I am not trying to promote another place to get parts, TCSS is still the absolute best out there but doesn't have everything. just trging to help out those with issues finding chassis options for the smaller ID MHS parts. This place even had some that would fit in a choke.
    Last edited by Thalan the Exiled; 03-22-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Shapeways is a good service, I've had some custom dice printed from there in the past. The only thing you would need to make sure of is that the part is correct for what you need and looks like it is designed well. By that I mean all of those items on shapeways are user created and may not necessarily be up to the same design standards as something from TCSS.

Another idea (if your design is flexible) is what I did with my son's saber.
    I housed a speaker holder V5 in a 0.75" extension between the ribbed section and the pommel.
    I had to modify the speaker holder with new rod holes, to align with the 1.15"ID chassis discs (but that was my choice). If you are not planning to anchor your chasis to the speaker holder, no mods required (as the V5 locks into place between the pommel and extension).

My Build Thread

That is an option I will look into. My saber is already 14" long but if that is my only/cheapest option then I guess 3/4" isn't gonna make that much difference.

Lol SKS that's exactly what I did with my Speaker and the same pommel too! I'm curious how did you get it to prevent the wires from twisting?