Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solaren's Essence (First-ish Saber)

If you are looking for the wood grain look, without having to compromise structural integrity This website might be worth a look. I know nothing about them, but it appears that they offer wood-grain aluminum tubing that you could use.

You could also buy a veneer and wrap that around the hilt, and use a shroud segment to cover the seams
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

As promised here are some pics of the blade plug.

The left piece is the original insert that came with the plug, the middle piece is made of gray translucent acrylic. It has holes because I was planning to use it for chassis spacers inside the extension section.

And the assembled plug, the acrylic blends to almost black until the blade is ignited behind it, then it gives a nice muted view of the color around the rim of the metal piece. It is no where near as bright in person as the camera made it appear above.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic Jedi View Post
    Interesting and informative thread. When I saw you turning up that wooden section I had a feeling that it would be a weak point in your build, sorry to say. However, it did give me ideas on how to add wooden accents using V2 parts. Interesting switching arrangement, I would have used delrin, but that's a personal preference. I really like the overall design and would love to see how you put together your internal chassis.
    Thanks. I knew it was going to be weaker than the aluminum for sure, I think it was a combination of wanting it to be the same OD across the entire length and those fine detail lines that I scored being too close to the weakest point that really did it in. I might try another when I pick this project up again, I'm not planning to duel with this saber and if I make the part over that 0.75" extension the OD of the shroud material it should be plenty strong to stand up to a light hit here and there.

As I mentioned, I do a good bit of woodworking, so scrap dowel was the material I had on hand. Delrin would definitely be a better choice, but I can't argue with 'free' parts.

Quick noob question, do the machined Covertech clips fit the sleeve material?
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.

They can be attached, but there will be a small gap under them. You can carefully file the Covertec button to allow it to fit better.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Alright, thats what I figured, thanks