Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lathe noise...

Default Lathe noise...

Hi, this is directed to those that have a lathe. If you don't please don't respond...

I'm thinking about getting a new place and I'm very close to purchasing my lathe however I have a question first.

How loud are they? If I was in an apartment building would it be an issue? Also the current house I have has a noice ordance in the neighborhood and I'd hate to be turned in.

Basically if they are very loud I'll keep my current house since I REALLY want to get a lathe. If its not going to be an issue I might try to find something better. Thanks guys.
    'I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you.'

Well my friend...
    It depends on the kind of lathe you get.
    I would say that they are really not that loud - BUT, it will generate vibrations which matters if you are on a second + floor apartment. A basement or garage is ideal.

Now if you get a mini-lathe - they aren't much louder that a sewing machine, or washer/dryer... I'd guess.

MC

Thanks much. I've wanted a new place for a long time and this gives me the option to pursue that You rock MC

Shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you're machining soft metals like aluminum, which cut like butter with sharp tools. With aluminum, you'll not need high speeds (and it is dangerous to use real high speeds), so the noise ought to be a non-issue.

Just make sure that you align your tools the right way so they cut right, and keep them in good shape, and I doubt your neighbors will even know.

Well yoi as you know that although I don't have one myself, hanging out with Ambo and Tet I know exactly how much noise they make.

Madcow is right on, you can sit and have a conversation while turning out hilts. Ambo has mentioned that every now and then if he is working on something odd or to far out sometimes that he gets this high pitched whine. I have yet to hear it but he is in an apartment and noone has said crap so there ya go.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

The noise level with mine is very low, I have heard dishwashers that make more noise. Mine has rubber feet on the bottom so the vibration is not a problem either.
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

Thank you all, my fears have been alleviated.

Now if I can ust convince my gf that I won't cut my hand off.... lol

Mine is not so loud, but worst than a washing machine, hope fully it's in my garage. That's not a mini lathe, but an average model (550W - 225 Kg).
    http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Labo002.jpg
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Ryma Mara

I have never obayed any noise ordinance...ever and no problems with the 5-O

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

That high pitched whine you get once in awhile would make your apartment neighbors think the building is about to explode.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop