Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help installing windu sound board to drive led

Default Help installing windu sound board to drive led

Hey, i picked up a mace windu hasbro saber and took the sound driver, motion sensor, speaker, and clash detector out. I was wondering, can I use the leads that normally powered the hasbro lightbulb to power my led? And if so will I need a resistor between the LED and the sound board to regulate voltage. FYI I want to use a 5w blue led in my saber and that requires aprox 6.8 forward voltage for optimal brightness. O one last question, which battery holder should i use, it has to fit in the MHS. Thanks a lot for the insight guys.

You can't run it off of that Sound Board, but can should run a relay with that setup. Do-Clo can fill you in on all of that info.

As far as the battery in concerned, I would suggest the battery pack Tim sells and installing a recharge port. (After spending $40 in non-rechargables I'm never going back) Or a 4AAA battery holder with rechargeable batteries.

Info on Recharge Ports

As for the exact power requirements of the 5w LED I am not the one to ask. James and Do-Clo have more knowledge in that area. But I think that Tim’s pack will be sufficient.

Edited to remove my own stupidity.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You will not be able to power the 5W with the Hasbro. Sometimes you can dispense with a resistor and have the Hasbro power it, like with a 1W or 3W, but there is no way the board will take that much voltage that is needed for the 5W.

You are going to need a voltage regulator to bring the voltage down or a seperate power pack all together for the Hasbro. In fact a seperate one is the best solution for wasting less batteries throwing off heat (a regulator will get hot). Hasbro's are extremely finicky when pushed past their normal voltages.

AAA's in a square fit fine. AA's can only be three in a triangle or two across. 9v's fit fine.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

simple answer is no the mace board will not drive a 5w LED. check out this thread. This will give you a longer answer.

Basicaly this board will only handle 3v and power a 1w LED or bulb.

ok.... bummer, so it looks like my best option would be a seperate power supply for the board and my led, is there any way i can wire the switch tim sells to complete both circuits at the same time, so i can turn the led and sound on with one switc? Also would 2 9v batteries be able to power the led and the board (so basically one 9v for each)?

Quote Originally Posted by airsoftmode
    is there any way i can wire the switch tim sells to complete both circuits at the same time, so i can turn the led and sound on with one switc?

With a relay.

Also would 2 9v batteries be able to power the led and the board (so basically one 9v for each)?
    You don't want to put any more than 3v on that soundboard.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Does the Mace board have the flash on clash? If so, don't worry about it. The relay wouldn't work that way.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

ok, whats a relay?

A Relay uses the power from one power source to apply power to a device using another power source. An electronic switch.

Example: You can use the sound board to control the relay, the relay switches on the power directly from the battery to the LED.