Thread: Stuck threads

Default Stuck threads

Has anyone ever had two MHS parts inexplicably stuck together? I don't mean having something wrong with the threads... I mean two parts, which have been screwed together and taken apart about 100 times with no issue, then all of a sudden, you go to take it off again, and BOOM. Stuck. Like Magic. No explanation.

This has happened to me on two occasions now, and it's about the most frustrating thing in the world to deal with. The first time, I was lucky enough to get the magic to release by clamping part A to my workbench, threading a rod out of the side to keep it from rotating in the clamps, and grabbing part B with a strap wrench and heaving for about 20 minutes. That was after hours of trying other things.

Now, I've got a gender changer stuck firm in an extension, with zero signs of letting go. I'm fuming.

And yes, the parts were greased.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

A gender change does not give you much to grip.. If the end of it is screwed in as far as possible there could be significant friction keeping it from coming apart. A stuck part I can almost always get apart with the strap wrenches. If the threads themselves are stuck then I get oil to soak into the threads for a few minutes and that makes them come apart 99% of the time.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I actually had a set screw in the gender changer to lock it into another part. It wasn't all the way in. I had it about halfway into each of the parts.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Not sure exactly what you are describing but I assume the set screw did not damage threads, etc.. If you cannot get it off by all of the tricks people have used over the years.. oil, freezing, strap wrench, etc... then at least it is a thin part that you could crush to take out without damaging the part it is in.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

No, the set screw was in a choke. The side that got stuck was just threaded into an extension.

I actually twisted it so hard that the 8-32 screw snapped. Threads still stuck.

Then, figuring the gender changer was a lost, I drilled holes through it so I could twist it off with a screwdriver. The gender changer snapped. Threads still solid.

Finally, I had to crush the gender changer.

Looks like I'll be order a new choke 3, gender changer, and 4in extension. Oh wait, no I won't. They're out of stock. I guess this saber gets to sit on the shelf and collect dust for the next who knows how long. Frustrating.