Thread: Hasbro Card Problems

Default Hasbro Card Problems

I pulled a card out of one of the newer Hasbro sabers and it doesn't look like anything I've been able to find anywhere for tutorials. I've figured out most of it, like where to hook the switch up and the LED, but I'm having a rather curious problem. When I hook a Luxeon up to the board, it only gets about half as bright as when I hook it up to the battery directly (with a resistor). Testing right now, my battery is at 3.98V.

When I test at Point 1 on my picture (negative) with the positive at the big red + at the top, my voltage comes in at 3.91V
    Point 2 is 2.67V, which makes sense considering it is post-resistor.

DSC_1533.jpg

I've disconnected the solder up by the + sign to disconnect the 3 LEDs up there to isolate as best I can. Now, when I connect the Luxeon to point 1 and red +, it isn't very bright - ie, I can actually look at it. To my limited knowledge, a 0.07V variance shouldn't affect it that much. I've even tried connecting it without the Luxeon's resistor, and it has pretty much the same result.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

If what your experiencing is what I experienced with some of the Hasbro cards, your going to need a PNP type power transistor wired in there. I know there are some schematics around on the forum somewhere showing how to wire up a cheap hasbro with a transistor and with or without a recharge port ( found it: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...highlight=econ). Hope that helps a little

Awesome, thanks Baboon. Are PNP transistors "one size fits all"?

I'm not sure, I had taken a picture of one someone used and used that as reference when I went to Radio Shack lol

The one I recall people using was a "TIP42" PNP type for driving the led. The issue isn't the voltage, it is the amount of current those boards are set up to deliver.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

It worked!! Thanks guys