Thread: Which blade is best?

Default Which blade is best?

Hi, I'm new. I have been looking at pre-assembled blades and I don't know the best combination of blade parts to choose from. I am looking at 1" OD thick walled blades and have considered a trans-white blade with a rounded clear tip, is this a good choice? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

SaberGuy

I'm more inclined to recommend the thin walled blades. They're very durable, and you're unlikely to damage them unless you like swinging at trees, brick walls, metal poles, etc. The thick walled blades are a good deal heavier, and you'll find your arms getting tired faster when using them.

I like the transwhite myself, though it works best with the cool colors like blue and green. It tends to wash out reds. Adding some diffuser material in the blade like clear cellophane is always helpful, assuming you're not getting some of the special blades with the TCSS blade film already installed.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks, but what about a tip for a transwhite blade? Should I use a clear rounded tip or a transwhite rounded tip? Also are the thin walled blades suitable for normal duelling, because that is what I hope my saber(s) will be used for.

Thin walled it great for dueling. As for tips, I like shine through bullet tips- although if you have kiddos it is probably better to go with shouldered as they're a bit safer. I can't say for sure, but I think the white tips are pretty opaque.

The white tips do not light up very well.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Thanks guys. On the topic of blades, how far do they go into the blade holder. Also how long should a saber staff be, I am 5'9" and the hilt I currently have in mind is about 23.5" to 24", so how long should the blades be?
    Last edited by SaberGuy; 02-21-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberGuy View Post
    Thanks guys. On the topic of blades, how far do they go into the blade holder. Also how long should a saber staff be, I am 5'9" and the hilt I currently have in mind is about 23.5" to 24", so how long should the blades be?
    Staff blades are typically 32in. The length of blade that is lost in the holder depends on the holder itself, but I would say that you lose an average of 2in or so.

All of the MHS v1 blade holders have a 2" deep blade socket.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I totally agree to Silver Serpent in all points, I once ordered thick walled blades, they look solid, but they are damn heavy and an overkill except if you want to vent your anger on innocent trees and walls. I also find transwhite better, although it makes red a bit pinkish.

As to the blade length of staff sabers, this is a question which also I would like to get advice for a future build. Looking at the films I have the impression that the double bladed staffs have shorter blades than the single blade sabers, something like 24-26" ? Or that an optical illusion? Somehow my gut feeling tells me two times 32" plus the hilt will make the saber VERY unwieldy...??? I already find in simple sabers the blade length of 32" a bit too long for my size (177cm, sorry for the metric scale).

Most of the double-bladed saberstaffs I've seen have blades around the 24" range.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!