Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hex screw chassis problem

Default Hex screw chassis problem

What do ppl generally do when the hex screws get in the way of the male or female thread? Im talking about when you have a chassis disk that locks into place between a male and female thread, and when you try to screw it in the male thread it can't screw in all the way ,because the hex screw that holds the 4-40 rod is in the way.

I feel like I can't be the only one that has had this problem.

hex.jpg
    I can light a small city with my board

I get a sanding drum on a dremel and sand that edge down till it slides in.

I had to sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand.... and then I had to sand some more.

Turn the nut a little bit more so that the flat edge of the nut is up against the MHS part, instead of the corner. Or you could sand it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

It looks to me like that is a 1.25" chassis disk up against a 1.15" ID section which means no amount of sanding will probably make the nut clear.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    It looks to me like that is a 1.25" chassis disk up against a 1.15" ID section which means no amount of sanding will probably make the nut clear.
    First post says he has the one that locks in between male and female threads. I'd have to agree that sanding the nut may help, but I'd use a dremel rather than trying to do it by hand. What would help in this situation is a chassis disc that is threaded with 4-40 threads, but I'm not sure how plausible that would be in an acrylic disc.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

There's a suggestion I mention in the video that will go up in the next couple days. Use a drill to carefully make a deeper hole so the nut is "inside" your chassis disk. Because the disk you have there is plastic, you may want to use a dremmel not a drill.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

My point was that the threaded rods on that piece have a OD of pretty much exactly 1.15" so he would need to sand the nuts down to the point that the threaded rod is exposed before they will fit inside the 1.15" section. Or as Madcow suggested he needs to recess the nuts into the acrylic section.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    There's a suggestion I mention in the video that will go up in the next couple days. Use a drill to carefully make a deeper hole so the nut is "inside" your chassis disk. Because the disk you have there is plastic, you may want to use a dremmel not a drill.
    That sounds a bit easier then lots of sanding and yes the hex screw would sand to nothing before it would fit.

Thanks everyone !
    Last edited by Star Bird; 02-19-2015 at 12:07 PM.
    I can light a small city with my board

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    My point was that the threaded rods on that piece have a OD of pretty much exactly 1.15" so he would need to sand the nuts down to the point that the threaded rod is exposed before they will fit inside the 1.15" section. Or as Madcow suggested he needs to recess the nuts into the acrylic section.
    ah, understood....I don't use the acrylic chassis pieces very often, so was unaware of the spacing of the holes...I've used the aluminum ones before and used a different set of holes.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.