Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Sabers?

Default Wooden Sabers?

I just built my first saber and have always wanted a wooden one. For this first one I went as clean as I possibly could with just a hilt turned out of a solid block of red oak. The only non-wood bits showing are two brass screws that hold in the batteries on the bottom of the pommel, the switch, and the blade.

30.jpg32.jpg033.jpg035.jpg2015-01-29 21.03.55.jpg

I would love to see pics of anyone else that has built a wooden saber. I need some ideas for my next one.

Welcome to the Forums.

I removed your other post as it was basically a duplicate of this one.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Beautiful work! I love the grain. It looks amazing.

I made one - search for "Wooden Katana"

Absolutely beautiful.

Gorgeous work! Nice choice of red oak too. I was tempted to use oak in my current build, but decided on something different. What finish/stains did you use, if any? Also, do you notice any heat trouble with the LED heatsink?

Thanks everyone. What did you use instead of oak? I went with a watco brand oil stain and some high gloss lacquer. Any stain is fine, I went with lacquer because it dries hard and is repairable if it gets scratched. I don't have any worries about the heat sink because it has an open hollow space about 3 times its volume to dissipate heat into. I have yet to even feel the handle heat up.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCats View Post
    Thanks everyone. What did you use instead of oak? I went with a watco brand oil stain and some high gloss lacquer. Any stain is fine, I went with lacquer because it dries hard and is repairable if it gets scratched. I don't have any worries about the heat sink because it has an open hollow space about 3 times its volume to dissipate heat into. I have yet to even feel the handle heat up.
    I am using hardwood Cherry in my design. Still trying to figure out what type of finish to give it, something that would bring out the rich dark red tones but not cover up the natural hues. I've tested some John Boos Mystery Oil, and it gives the Cherry a nice subtle finish. I'll look into the Watco stains. Lacquer is a good idea, especially for repairs after a Sith encounter! And cool, good to hear about the heatsink!

Quote Originally Posted by Robust Stardust View Post
    I am using hardwood Cherry in my design. Still trying to figure out what type of finish to give it, something that would bring out the rich dark red tones but not cover up the natural hues. I've tested some John Boos Mystery Oil, and it gives the Cherry a nice subtle finish. I'll look into the Watco stains. Lacquer is a good idea, especially for repairs after a Sith encounter! And cool, good to hear about the heatsink!
    I originally started with cherry but I underestimated the size of my battery pack. For cherry I always prefer an oil because it allows the wooden to naturally deepen in color over time. Post some pictures when you finish I would love to see it and discuss how you tackled the various problems I encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCats View Post
    I originally started with cherry but I underestimated the size of my battery pack. For cherry I always prefer an oil because it allows the wooden to naturally deepen in color over time. Post some pictures when you finish I would love to see it and discuss how you tackled the various problems I encountered.
    Ah yes, I too underestimated the size of the battery pack... we'll see how it goes, fingers crossed! I'll definitely post some photos and build progress, it'll be great to compare notes and problem work-arounds. How did you bore out the oak to make room for the internals? Lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Robust Stardust View Post
    Ah yes, I too underestimated the size of the battery pack... we'll see how it goes, fingers crossed! I'll definitely post some photos and build progress, it'll be great to compare notes and problem work-arounds. How did you bore out the oak to make room for the internals? Lathe?

The hole holding the blade was the only one I could drill on the lathe. The rest of the holes are internal and were drilled with a press. The two black lines were burned into the hilt with copper wire and hide the seams that delineate the battery and led compartments.