Thread: Attach speaker mount like on Desert Dragon?

Blog Entries

Default Attach speaker mount like on Desert Dragon?

Madcow's video on the Desert Dragon shows a chassis in the form of a (pvc) tube. To view the chassis and chamber, the user unscrews the bottom half of the hilt. I'm working on a similar but much more modest design, but I can't figure out how best to attach the speaker mount to the chassis tube. I'm actually using an aluminum tube for the chassis tube, and it is almost the same diameter as the speaker mount.

I tried carving a mount area in the speaker mount and then screwing the pieces together, but it wasn't solid enough. The main constraint is keeping it small enough to pass smoothly through the hilt tube.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ideas?

Blog Entries

The speaker fits perfectly in the tube, I've found out, but I'm worried about rattle. I also am worried about the conductivity of the aluminum, but im sure I could insulate it. Any insights into issues I might run into if I just attach the speaker directly to the aluminum tube?

image.jpg

Depending on the wall thickness of the tube you may be able to turn down a step in the speaker mount so that it fits into the tube. About 3/16"- 1/4" of insert should work. Turn down just enough to allow for a snug fit. (Assuming you have access to a lathe.)

I have done this on several builds and it works great. Here is a link to one of my build thread showing this very things. (Toward to bottom of the photos)

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ghlight=reveal

-Denzil

Blog Entries

Thanks.