Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ravenwood Saber

Default Ravenwood Saber

Hey, guys. This is where I will be posting all of my pesky questions for my first saber build. (I hope I'm putting this in the correct section.)

A little background. I bought the parts for and assembled my hilt last summer (7/2014). (First thread is here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...quiet-my-fears) Funds have now become available so that I can start on the electronics. (Yay!) But first let us review what have been accomplished to date.

This is my completed hilt parts list:

Hilt
    Hilt style 3
    MHS choke style 3
    MPS pommel style 4
    MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 12
    MPS insert style 7
    MPS clip
    Activation box style 9
    16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary White Ring Switch
    2.1mm Power Jack
    Kill plug style 5 (color: none)
    4-40 Button Head Screw
    Machined button for Covertec clip
    8-32 x 1/4" socket head screw
    Covertec clip
    8-32 x .3" anodized thumb screw

Services - Powder Coat
    Pommel powder coating (PM41) - Sun Gold
    Choke powder coating (CH31) - Sun Gold
    Blade Holder powder coating (B122) - Sun Gold
    Main body powder coating (SH33) - Warlock Gray

Services - Drilling
    Box 9,10, and 17 Mounting holes service
    Drill & Tap Hole - 8-32, covertec clip
    Drill & Tap Hole - 8-32, blade retention screw

lightsaber.jpg
    ~Ravenwood

Electronic Design Features
    0. White blade color
    1. Momentary on/off switch (purchased)
    2. White ring on on/off switch set to "on" while kill-plug is out
    3. Rechargeable battery
    4. Recharge port via 2.1mm power jack, with kill plug (purchased)
    5. Standard sounds (activate, hum, deactivate)
    6. Flash-on-clash
    7. Speaker in pommel

I think those are all of my requirements. First, let me say that I know this is an ambitious first build, but do have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, so it's not like I've never soldered before. Second, why did the shop have to be out of NBv2 the day I'm ready to start purchasing parts? Anyway, I'm in the research phase watching the videos available on YouTube to help figure out what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance for all the help and checking my designs to ensure I don't screw up!
    ~Ravenwood

Greetings Ravenwood! That's a very elegant saber design you have there. I really enjoy the sun gold powder coating, and the darker bands add a nice rhythm. Looking forward to following your build!

Welcome to the forums! As stated above... this is a very elegant and sleek looking saber. I look forward to seeing your work.

Thanks! I'm actually thinking about replacing the sun gold pieces (it is more mustard yellow in person than on the powder coating colors page). If anyone knows anybody who would interested in buying my emitter, choke and pommel with speaker grill insert, let me know!
    ~Ravenwood

Anyone have any pictures of translucent brass powder coat? I've looked in the galleries but haven't found any samples.
    ~Ravenwood

Actual saber question: I was told that I can't use the Rebel Star LED Heatsink Module for what I want to do. What LED do I need?
    ~Ravenwood

Hi i have a pic of trans gold of the TCSS build site i think its a cool color.

goldtrans.jpg
    Last edited by Mark1972; 01-31-2015 at 06:59 PM.

So I want a white blade. I'm assuming that TCSS does not carry this (that I have seen), so I need to go back to the source and buy this: http://www.luxeonstar.com/cool-white...star-led-235lm. Your thoughts?
    ~Ravenwood

Yeah, from what I understand, for a white blade--and if you want flash on clash like you mentioned above--you would need a Tri-Rebel or a Tri-Cree. If you want the FoC to be a different color than the main blade, you could order a Tri-Rebel configured white/white/green (or your favorite FoC color), and wire the white LEDs in series for a bright main blade.

TCSS does have single die Cree XP-E2 LEDs, and white is in stock...just no flash on clash with that route: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Wh...ova-P1003.aspx

Hope that helps! (And that I'm not misunderstanding this complex saber art!)