Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chassis Designs and ideas

Here are pics of the "version 1.0" chassis for my own personal saber (work in progress).

I'm using a "18650 'Stick' Battery Pack" with "Acrylic Chassis Discs for PC 2.0 and 18500/18650 pack - S2" for the CF7 (same width for both PC3 & CF7 cards), modified (opened and widened) by me "Acrylic Chassis Disc for NB and 18500/18650 pack - S3" for the CE (as the shop doesn't have discs specifically for this), and a "Speaker Mount V5". The Chassis is LONG, as I have an "Acrylic Chassis Disc 2 hole to 3 hole adapter - S9" to hold the battery in place, and another to hold a Bar Graph (for the accent Leds/PLI) in place. That last disc would be cut down to allow a switch to fit.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

In this design, I'm basically locking in the SD Card, and if access is needed, it would require un-threading of the rod from the speaker mount, and in this design, that would mean complete dis-assembly. Hence the 1.0 version. This was my first attempt (my saber have been WIP for a year) at internal layout. I believe the simplest solution would be to mount the chassis using a metal chassis disc (at the end opposite the speaker), and un-attach the speaker mount, to allow for removal of the speaker only, for SD card access.

Anyway, nothing beats having the parts in hand to see how things work (or don't) with your chassis idea.
    Moral of the story? Chassis parts are "relatively" inexpensive, so buy a few more parts (rod, nuts, spacers) then you THINK you need, as you very well may want to modify the design!
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 01-28-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    Anyway, nothing beats having the parts in hand to see how things work (or don't) with your chassis idea.
    Moral of the story? Chassis parts are "relatively" inexpensive, so buy a few more parts (rod, nuts, spacers) then you THINK you need, as you very well may want to modify the design!
    I definitely agree!

Hope this helps. Sorry for the brightness my computer and cam sits under a shop light. I show how to thread a nut using a dremel onto a 4-40 tube.
    http://youtu.be/X-k2Qctxutg.
    Last edited by froggyone; 03-03-2015 at 08:00 AM.

That's not a bad idea. Personally, I just cut the threaded rod first, clean up the threads, and then put the nut on. It saves having to spin the nut down the entire length of the threaded rod.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

This is one that I did to get to the switch nut and SD card. On the oposing end was a spring out of a ball point pen. Pull on the speaker and spin it out of the way for access, and the tightened spring kept the chassis tight up against the hilt so you could work.

Here my chassis that I just re-did for my first saber.

I used the "Acrylic Chassis Disc for PC 2.0 and 14500 side by side pack" for the PC and a 14650 side by side pack.

The chassis locks in place with Chassis Disc style 5 and a set screw on the bottom side of the MHS Gear piece. So I can just unscrew the bottom half of the hilt a little bit to access the RICE port, which is mounted in place with the "Acrylic Chassis Disc for recharge port".

IMG_4250.jpg

Just finished most of chassis tonight. Just waiting for a few parts. http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...psdk9ehujj.jpg

Are the acrylic chassis discs for the PC 2.0 big enough to hold a Plecter Labs Crystal Focus 7.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Telgarian View Post
    Are the acrylic chassis discs for the PC 2.0 big enough to hold a Plecter Labs Crystal Focus 7.5?
    indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    indeed.
    Is that "Indeed they are" or "Indeed, this question needs answering"?