Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chassis Designs and ideas

Default Chassis Designs and ideas

Many people have been asking me to do a Crystal Chassis tutorial vid. And I will at some point. The problem is that there are just SO MANY WAYS to make a cool chassis using the parts available here at TCSS!

This thread is for you to show pics and videos of how YOU did it. After a while the community will be able to come to this thread to see some great examples of what is possible.

Please post pics and videos of chassis mostly built with parts from TCSS, don't confuse new customers by posting about parts you got elsewhere, or had made.
    Last edited by Strydur; 01-26-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Chassis in general or specifically crystal chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by cvsickle View Post
    Chassis in general or specifically crystal chassis?
    Chassis in general, as long as it is using TCSS parts.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Here's one I did for for a NB and an 18650 with a recharge port. It's about 98% TCSS parts; I chose to use (2) outsourced 4-40 nuts and the accent leds for full disclosure. Everything else is Shop - Tim even modified the one recharge port disk to add mounting holes for the smaller disks that hold the NB/battery. I modified the speaker holder to mount the recharge port disk.

I'm not sure what other people think but I find the chassis parts in the store to be confusing. I think of it as kind of advanced stuff and "I'll try it on a build some day."

Say you want to power a Nano Biscotte sound card with a 18650 rechargeable battery.
    - first you purchase Acrylic-Chassis-Disc-for-NB-and-1850018650-pack.
    - then you need threaded rod and some aluminum spacer, what length spacer? the chassis description doesn't say and neither does the NB info.
    Is it
    1/2-Aluminum-316-OD-spacer
    or
    3/4-Aluminum-316-OD-spacer
    or
    1-Aluminum-316-OD-spacer

Then what about aluminum discs. Is it chassis disc style 2,3,4 or 5 ? and how does the Acrylic-Chassis-Disc-2-hole-to-3-hole-adapter work and is it needed?

I think that some updating of the chassis section of the store, along with a basic chassis parts video, would boost people's confidence in using a chassis in their builds.

Great start amwolf!

Quote Originally Posted by Sevinzol View Post
    I'm not sure what other people think but I find the chassis parts in the store to be confusing. I think of it as kind of advanced stuff and "I'll try it on a build some day."

Say you want to power a Nano Biscotte sound card with a 18650 rechargeable battery.
    - first you purchase Acrylic-Chassis-Disc-for-NB-and-1850018650-pack.
    - then you need threaded rod and some aluminum spacer, what length spacer? the chassis description doesn't say and neither does the NB info.
    Is it
    1/2-Aluminum-316-OD-spacer
    or
    3/4-Aluminum-316-OD-spacer
    or
    1-Aluminum-316-OD-spacer

Then what about aluminum discs. Is it chassis disc style 2,3,4 or 5 ? and how does the Acrylic-Chassis-Disc-2-hole-to-3-hole-adapter work and is it needed?

I think that some updating of the chassis section of the store, along with a basic chassis parts video, would boost people's confidence in using a chassis in their builds.
    Valid input - thank you. I hope that things will be clearer with the examples to be posted in this thread, and upcoming videos.

Here's my most recent chassis. Completely store parts. Holds a PCv3 and a CEx along with a speaker. Pommel has a recharge and rice port.
    IMG_20141011_160218850_HDR_zps2frmtf1f.jpg.
    IMG_20141027_215840429_zpsietbowmp.jpg

I cut the rods and brass tubes myself. Also, I am providing this as a bad example of a chassis, as it places the soundcard too close to the center of the hilt. Swing/clash sensitivity isn't very good at that location. Be wary of this when designing a chassis.

I would like to post this video I made today in response to this thread. This shows two of my sabers with custom internals that utilize chassis parts from TCSS. One is for a standard MHS saber and the other is a Graflex with a crystal chamber. Feel free to take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fa0_RzcBGs

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Excellent additions to the collection guys!

Here are a few pics of my first "in use" chassis, in my son's lighhtsaber (Sunfire).

IMG_0248.jpg IMG_0250.jpg

I used a "Speaker Mount V5", with new (done by me) 4-40 thread holes drilled & tapped to align with the "Acrylic Chassis Discs for NB/18500 1.15 ID parts" (since those holes do not match with standard ID parts like the speaker mounts).

The large space between the card and the speaker mount is for SD Card access. In retrospect (and for the next build) I should have "flipped" the card around, placing the SD card facing the front of the saber, and moved the card as close to the speaker mount as possible. I didn't do that in this build, as I wanted to keep the wires off the card as clean as possible (being my first build). I'm not entirely happy with the swing response (even after adjusting the sensitivity), as where the card sits now, it pretty much right under the palm of my son's hand when he is holding the saber.

Next time, smaller gauge wire (to help with the cram-fu), and better placement!