Thread: Tips for metalworking / layering?

Blog Entries

Default Tips for metalworking / layering?

I worked on an outside layer (shroud) today. It looks ok, but not as precise as I'd like. I want cleaner lines and greater symmetry. I studied madcow's tutorial on shroud work, which was helpful. Any other tips on making shrouds? I have a Dremmel and a bench grinder, but I'm finding that a hack saw and hand file produce smoother, cleaner results. But I don't know what I'm doing. How do you guys make your shrouds look so good?

image.jpg
    image.jpg[
    ATTACH=CONFIG]10771[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Its a combination of everything you listed IMHO..

a dremel for bulk removal and quick cuts,.. and unless you have a mill, most everyone uses files and whatnot to fine tune those rough cuts.

I used to cut inside the line.. and then file/sand my way 'too' it to finish it off to get straight lines..etc

dont rush the dremel, let it do the work for you. (and hold it so it doesnt jump out of the cut)

Hand File + MUCH patience+practice=great results.
    Darth Flatulous

Echoing some of the comments already posted... cut (slowly and carefully) wide of where you want the final edge to be, hand file it to finish, then sand, sand, sand. Get your feet set, keep a firm grip on the dremel, and let it slowly do the job for you. Don't rush! I like the hacksaw for cross cuts, and the dremel for rip cuts. There is no right way to do it, it's just whatever works for you... And yes, practice practice practice on some "scrap" shroud material.

Ya just like everyone said, you just have to take your time, when you do some intricate shroud work settle in and forget about the clock, the quality of your shroud work is directly related to the time and care you put into it. Using the dremel attachment with the smally hand tool helps, i forget the name of it. Lets you have a little more control over your work. Wear some gloves the vibration can be hard on the hands after a few hours.

The flex shaft attachment for the Dremel is amazing. It will improve your cutting control tremendously all by itself. Also, put the shroud material in a vice. Having it firmly secured while you cut will help a ton.

The previous advice is all good. Practice, patience, and lots of filing and fine tuning. You won't knock out a shroud in an afternoon and have it look good.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Flex shaft! Thank you, the name was escaping in the previous post

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    The flex shaft attachment for the Dremel is amazing. It will improve your cutting control tremendously all by itself.
    Was waiting for this response, SS! You forgot the +10 to dremel-fu!

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Was waiting for this response, SS! You forgot the +10 to dremel-fu!
    That datacron is difficult to get!

As the others hacve stated time, practice and patience are required for any kind of metal working. Also, be sure to plan out what you're going to be doing ahead of time, and make sure you have a step-by-step process to follow, at least in your head. It may also help you to go back to the first few pages of the "A to Z Build Threads" section and read over some of the older posts there....most contain invaluable information for the beginning builder.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I think the tips in this tutorial can be applied to shrouds.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-ing-Sinktubes

The tutorial is about sink tubes but the same principles apply to shrouds, it helped me a lot.