Thread: Cree XPE2, Buckpuck, 7.4 v Li-Ion, standard latching switch diagram

Default Cree XPE2, Buckpuck, 7.4 v Li-Ion, standard latching switch diagram

I am looking to build my first light saber soon, I have been browsing the forums alot, and went through the wiring diagrams. It may be a silly question but all I can find are the diagrams for a stunt saber running off of a AA or AAA pack. I was wondering what would the difference be between he stunt saber wiring for the AA/AAA pack and a Li-Ion battery? I would imagine I would need a quick disconnect to allow it to be charged?
    Or if a 4xAA pack would be enough power for the buckpuck and Cree LED? The Led would be green in color.
    Thanks
    Sorry if its a dumb question.

Wiring is unchanged. Many people will add in a recharge port so they don't need to remove the battery pack to recharge their saber, but it's not strictly necessary to do so.

A recharge port is fairly simple to wire up. You should be able to find a wiring diagram on the forums.

4xAA alkalines are sufficient to power the buckpuck, but you'll get a lot more runtime (and save some $$$) if you go with li-ion rechargeables.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I had another question. From what I have been reading, if I were to go with the option of running two dies of a tri rebel, it would be better to run them in a series correct? Same set up the 1000ma buckpuck and the 4 AA batteries. I was also considering on running 4 rechargeable lithium ion batteries, instead of 4 standard batteries.

It depends on the color, You might not have enough voltage to run 2 in series. 4 Li-ions would likely be waaayyyy too much.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

it would be two greens
    would i be better off just overdriving the single cree green?

Quote Originally Posted by von brinck View Post
    it would be two greens
    would i be better off just overdriving the single cree green?
    4 regular AA's won't be enough to run 2 greens. 2 Li-ions would. But because you are using a buckpuck, you will be running them only at 1000mA (1A).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com