Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Installing speaker/battery holder into the hilt

I'll give it a go. If it's not the tube then it's the speaker mount that's too big.
    Last edited by Nassik; 01-09-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nassik View Post
    I'll give it a go. If it's not the tube then it's the speaker mount that's too big.
    Exactly. It shouldn't take too much to get it to fit. You can also look through the other end to see exactly where it is getting "stuck".
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The sanding is helping. I can get the speaker mount to slide in another few millimeters. I'll keep going.

After quite a bit of sanding, the speaker mount finally fits.

As you can see, I had to sand off the upper lip of the speaker mount completely.

I did this slowly, a little bit at a time, until the speaker mount finally slid into the main body tube.
    Last edited by Nassik; 01-12-2015 at 08:06 PM.

You shouldn't have sanded the lip off completely. That lip is what holds the speaker mount in place so it doesn't slide up and down inside your hilt.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 01-12-2015 at 08:13 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I didn't have a choice. I sanded incrementally... a tiny bit at a time, followed by test fitting. Over and over until the thing finally fit. It literally took the complete removal of that lip for the speaker mount to fit. I didn't simply decide to sand the whole thing off and give it a go.

At the moment the speaker mount is in the main body tube along with the main activation switch and the Nano Biscotte v2 sound board. The speaker mount isn't moving.

I need to get some new batteries in order to properly see if the rig works. I popped some older batteries in and only got a repeating click. I'll put some new batteries in before thinking that I goofed something up.
    Last edited by Nassik; 01-12-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Sorry you had issues with this.. let me shed some light on what has been mentioned so far.

Where Jay-gon showed the mount itself going in backwards is a old style mount before we made them longer to fit the bass speakers. The pictures you posted with your mount in backwards is what it should have looked like and therefore proves that you did not need to remove that outer lip at all if you had sanded the inner section or the tube further. The issue is the inside of the tube not being concentric with the threaded section. This is the downside of using extruded tubing and not boring the inside out. I think I will start having a inch or so past the threads machined to help with this issue. We make the speaker mounts smaller diameter to help with this issue but you may have gotten a really off center one. So basically what happened is the outer lip is staying concentric to the threaded section so the part that goes into the tube cannot slide in due to the tube not being concentric.

BTW.. how do you like that powder coated knurling? I always like how that turns out.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Thank you for that explanation. That makes complete sense.

The speaker mount is in there now and I'm happy with the fit. With the sound board and the wiring in the main body tube the speaker mount is held pretty well down at the pommel end. Since I have no intention of actually dueling with the lightsaber I don't think that speaker mount movement will be an issue. If I find that it shifts a bit I can wrap a little tape around the end to create a new lip if necessary.

The powder coated knurling turned out very well. It provides an excellent grip and creates a good-looking lightsaber body. The idea behind this lightsaber was to recreate the Corran Horn speeder bike handle lightsaber and the powder coated knurled section captures the look perfectly.

Last edited by Nassik; 01-12-2015 at 11:06 PM.

And it works perfectly!

I installed new batteries this morning and everything works like a dream. I did wrap a single layer of electrical tape around the speaker end of the speaker mount. There was a slight shifting of the battery mount in the main body tube but it's sorted now.

The modular wiring system parts are fantastic!