Thread: Ridiculous battery packs and life for LED strings.

Post Ridiculous battery packs and life for LED strings.

So, I've seen many lightsaber build log that actually have LED strings with arround 100 LED, that is like 2 Amps and ovr 6w of power... but they power their sabers with 4-6 simple AAA batteries (good quality ones) that probably do not exceed 1200 mah per cell... or a couple of ultrafire 3.7V 1200mAh... Doesn't matter how many times I calculate the battery life, none of this should be lit up for more than... half hour? (sound included) I simply consider that a very short battery life...

BUT!!! Everywhere I've read that the most powerful lightsabers like makoto V3 and V3 super plus have very long battery life.

What do you tell me? what is considered a "LONG" battery life? what batteries do your sabers use ans how many time they work?

As I'm not familiar with what Makoto uses in his setups, I won't comment on them.

Battery life depends on greatly on what LEDs you use and what Amperage you run them at. A half hour is usually a minimum run time for almost any setup. Batteries can last a long time, especially rechargeable one - they just need recharging. I have sabers that can last over an hour, and some less. Most people can't "play" with a saber for more than 30 minutes straight.

Also, the relevant values for determining battery solutions are Voltage and Amperage, not Wattage. I would suspect, that since Makoto uses string blades, the amperage to run them isn't all that high, depending on how he wired everything up. I also strongly suspect that how you are calculating things is not based on how he actually has his setups wired. If that is the case, then that would help explain why Makoto seems to get a long battery life out of his setups.

As a reminder, this forum is attached to a store, so I will be watching this thread carefully, and if it starts to get out of hand, it will be cleaned and locked.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

not sure really on the math much there for the string blades... but i do own a makoto string blade saber although i'm not sure how many LED's he build the blade with i could easily see 60-70 in there... but anywho he uses a 3.7v li-ion 18650 cell to power it. It does extremely well! i can get a consistent run time of about about 1 1/2 maybe 2 hours if i run it consistently. Hope it helps!