Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sunfire - My First Complete Saber

Quote Originally Posted by San Tala View Post
    I notice you said you were going to do without the connectors in your next build. Was it really that tough to fit everything in as I was going to use connectors on my build and we talked in the other topic about how our designs are pretty similar in terms of space.
    The original plan for this build did NOT have a choke. It was added solely for internal space (the 5w resistor is Huge!).

In a 1.15"ID part, you have just under 1.04" area (if you were to look at the part from the threaded end).
    The JST connectors are not that "wide & high" (.255"x.157") BUT, they are LONG (.94").
    I tried (and failed) to cram a recharge port, 16mm short switch (which will take up quite a bit of space @ .627"w x .67" deep in the hilt, takes up .42" of your 1.04"), a 5mm led, 6 JST connectors, a power extender, a dynaohm resistor and the 2.2ohm 5w beast of a resistor, and ALL the wire (26g) into a 4" double fluted extension. Now I had some space in the ribbed section with the battery, but I lost that with the male end of the choke (or originally, Blade holder).
    I'm sure with more experience, and a bit more trial and error (I WAS pressed for time), I could have planned it out better (and got a smaller resistor) to reduce space needed. I guess that is what "upgrades" and tinkering later is for!

Here are some pics of the wires as layed out, and at different stages of cram-fu.

Attachment 10740 Attachment 10741 Attachment 10742 Attachment 10743
    (apparently I'm Having trouble seeing the pics I attached, I see links and they work fine)

The one thing that is hard to wrap your head around until you are trying to cram, it how to get the wires to "fold in" and "sit" right in the hilt (all the excess wire you need to get the JST connectors OUT of the hilt).

IF I had to do this over, I'd would absolutely work more on that aspect of the build BEFORE soldering everything to the board (I wasn't gonna mess with THAT after it was finished)
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 01-05-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Simple but classy. I like!
    Developer/Creator of Igniter(tm)
    Site is in my profile!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    Here are some pics of the wires as layed out, and at different stages of cram-fu.

Attachment 10740 Attachment 10741 Attachment 10742 Attachment 10743
    (apparently I'm Having trouble seeing the pics I attached, I see links and they work fine)

The one thing that is hard to wrap your head around until you are trying to cram, it how to get the wires to "fold in" and "sit" right in the hilt (all the excess wire you need to get the JST connectors OUT of the hilt).

IF I had to do this over, I'd would absolutely work more on that aspect of the build BEFORE soldering everything to the board (I wasn't gonna mess with THAT after it was finished)
    So with the choke it made it workable. The attachments aren't working for me either unfortunately.

So with the choke it made it workable. The attachments aren't working for me either unfortunately.
    The choke added extra internal space.

I tried to just use the attach picture function on the forum. I'll upload these to photbucket and edit/update my post.

I've visited this thread a few times before but I just gotta say, I love that saber. Awesome choices of powder coating and that blade color is outstanding. Best looking orange I've seen in photos. If it looks that good in real life... you've got a real beauty of a saber.

Really nice job !

I like it ! I'm considering building my own one, so I can imagine how you feel

Congrats man !
    Perfection or nothing.

What were the powder coat colours?

What were the powder coat colours?
    The Pommel and Blade Holder is "Wet Black"
    The .0.75" Extension (what the Pommel is attached to) and the 4" Fluted Extension are "Jollipop Copper Orange"
    The Ribbed Extension is "Black Chrome"

I am very impressed by the Black Chrome and Wet Black. The Jollipop Copper Orange is ok, but as it is a "Transparent/Semi-Transparent Color" it looks a slight bit different on the Extension opposed to the Flutes (as it shows the slight grooves of the Flutes from the milling work).

Ah, that black chrome looks lovely.