Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Petit Crouton/Prizm Fried?

Default Petit Crouton/Prizm Fried?

I recently got a Prizm sound card and got it all wired up. I had a tri-color rebel, hooked up as well as an accent light on a switch. No charging port (yet). Everything was working beautifully - sound and LEDs. I was still working on getting it mounted into the saber, when I accidentally put the battery in backwards (negative to positive) - a single 18650. Before I noticed the mistake, some smoke came out from around where the battery wires mount to the board. I pulled the battery out, but I can no longer get the board to do anything. I did notice that one of the accent light wires had come detached. So it's possible I shorted an accent LED pad, although it's also possible this happened as I frantically jerked out the battery. In any case, the smoke was from around the battery connection. Looking at the board under a magnifying glass, I can't see any evidence of damage, other than some burn marks on the back side of the surface mounted thing next to the spot where the battery connects to the board. That could be from soldering though. I am suspecting the surface mount device next to the battery terminals has gone bad. The numbering on the top of it is "107 16k 323". After a lot of searching I can't find out details on this device though. It looks like it is some sort of diode/power switch. Any ideas what this thing is, and how to test to see if has gone bad. The resistance across the device is only 20 ohms.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before I send it back to Plecter labs for repair. It was supposed to be a Christmas present.

Jim

Welcome to the Forums.

You can PM Zook, who handles repairs here in the United States. Of course there will be a charge to repair/replace the component(s), that you might have accidentally fried, plus shipping costs.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 12-22-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I tried PM'ing, and it said I didn't have permissions for that page. Perhaps that is because I just registered my account here today. Lurking for a while, but first post.

Quote Originally Posted by forsytjr View Post
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I tried PM'ing, and it said I didn't have permissions for that page. Perhaps that is because I just registered my account here today. Lurking for a while, but first post.
    That's probably why. If I run into Zook, I'll let him know to pop into the thread.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Yeah if the voltage is reversed it will blow the main cap and possibly the audio amp. I am out of pocket for a day or two. We can work on getting it repaired after Christmas.
    MH on FX-Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    Yeah if the voltage is reversed it will blow the main cap and possibly the audio amp. I am out of pocket for a day or two. We can work on getting it repaired after Christmas.
    Thanks!

I totally symphatise with you, I did the same mistake with a Hasbro FX board the other day. The reverse polarity killed the Audio amp (well, actually a transistor drive in the newer Hasbros), interestingly everything else remained intact, it still scrolls.

No offense meant, but I really thought, that a PC - which is far from being cheap - has a reverse polarity protection. After all, reverse polarity can happen even with experience users, if they are in a hurry/just tired or whatever. If the battery connections are not protected, this has to be officially requested as improvement. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    I totally symphatise with you, I did the same mistake with a Hasbro FX board the other day. The reverse polarity killed the Audio amp (well, actually a transistor drive in the newer Hasbros), interestingly everything else remained intact, it still scrolls.

No offense meant, but I really thought, that a PC - which is far from being cheap - has a reverse polarity protection. After all, reverse polarity can happen even with experience users, if they are in a hurry/just tired or whatever. If the battery connections are not protected, this has to be officially requested as improvement. IMHO.
    I would have thought it would be protected. Unfortunately, although I have a protected 18650, I wasn't using it since it didn't fit well in the battery holder. After all this, I'm going to put a charging port in so I don't have to touch the battery again, and cram the protected battery in.

I'm afraid a protected battery will not protect the board itself from reverse polarity. I'm also not fully sure how reverse polarity protection works, I guess it would be a diode clamp. Anyway, as any serious FMEA would conclude reverse polarity to be the most common fatal wiring error, I really think it should be included, at least from PC onwards.

With Saber building, as with ANY electronics, there is a degree of carefulness involved, if everything was "fool proof" we would only be selling prewired things that could only do certain things. With options comes responsibilities - being "careful" is one of them.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines