Thread: Hilt Batery Placement

Post Hilt Batery Placement

My Question Is This:

Is is OK if I mount a 7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery Pack in the narrow portion of a TCSS "choke" part and have the battery "touching"/"butting up against" the bottom of my LED heat sink and LED wires?

I am running a Tri-Cree "R G RB" LED so there are six wires if that matters. In this configuration the wires actually serve to hold the battery snugly in place in the choke part since the battery has just a slightly smaller diameter than the internal diameter of the choke part.

Is this safe or is the heat from the LED going to make the Battery Melt/Explode/Something Else Awful?

I am being especially paranoid since this saber is for a six-year old and he is probably going to be... less than gentle with it.

Due to the layout of the parts, I have (shockingly) very little space in my hilt. XD

I was going to try to cram a 7.4v Li-ion 800mAh 14500 Battery Pack into the hilt with the rest of the electronics but I realized I could actually use the larger/more powerful 7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery Pack and have a LOT more space in the hilt if the battery resided ABOVE the hilt, primarily in the "choke" portion of the saber.

This configuration gives me a TON more room in the hilt which is nice since I still have to cram all this into the hilt:

PCv3
    CEx
    Recharge Port
    R.I.C.E. Port

Thanks in advance,

Sigma

NO, it is not all right if you do that, the heat from a Tri-die LED will cause you issues. Also I believe you grossly underestimate how long a 7.4V 18650 pack actually is.

What design is this going into?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Arrow

OK, good to know, though it does fit. See pics below.

Unfortunately I have to disassemble the whole saber as the battery is already in place. But better safe then sorry. I will just have to figure out how to make the 7.4v Li-ion 800mAh 14500 Battery and still have the recharge port fit where I want it as I have already drilled the external hole for it.

Naboo Saber 01.jpg

Naboo Saber 02.jpg

It goes into one of your other areas (which was my point), but yeah - have fun working it out. Where is the recharge port?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Arrow

I was trying to "think outside the box" as it were. The recharge port is about a 1/2 inch below the pommel and the covertech clip is just another 1/2 inch below that. Things are about to get interesting... XD

Will post final pics when the saber is done.

Thanks so much for your response.

Sigma