Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dark blade prototype blades

Default Dark blade prototype blades

It's all in the title. Dark blade prototype (1 of 3 methods). Some clicky pics, video below if interested. I think I am getting it dialed in.

Of course, helpful feedback appreciated.

Below is the acrylic blade version:

Here is the polycarb version:

Darker than the acrylic as expected, but if I drop it on the floor, I won't cry.

Link to the poly carb video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxpnWOVBsE

Thanks.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 12-20-2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Edited for content.

Nice job!!! What was the thickness of the poly sheet you used and whatkind of blade did you use to cut it out. I will be making a dark saber for a friend and my wife next year and have never worked with poly sheeting before. Thanks

Thanks!

The blade itself is 1/2 inch in thickness. To cut it, I used a band saw. Acrylic is easier to sand and remove material, but it is more prone to shattering. Poly carb is more forgiving for etching.

damn, that looks sharp.
    Awesome work.

There is no selling of items or services on this forum. This forum IS attached to a store.

whitmers, you have a PM.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 12-20-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

A good reminder for those who haven't read rules in a while (like myself). While I am not looking for business or to sell these, I can see how the initial posting may have been interpreted that way.

Sometimes it's hard to get feedback on a thing without having one in hand, and the saber community spread out and at times hard to access, it can be hard to do it in person .

All right, enough out of me on the matter, we'll all heed the rules .

May I make a sugestion? I think you would get better illumination if you could finc a way go run a LED string up the blade instead of a single high power in the hilt. Just a thought or something to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by atharp View Post
    May I make a sugestion? I think you would get better illumination if you could finc a way go run a LED string up the blade instead of a single high power in the hilt. Just a thought or something to experiment with.
    Sir, your blades are awesome!!! I like them very much, to be honest I think the poly is the bettter one, all things considered.
    I also share the opinion of atharp that a string blade would be fun with the dark blade. I recall from Clone Wars the scence Pre Vizsla wielded that ancient blade, how the light reflected off it as the blade moved, although it's not supported by any of the current saber electronics, a custom Setup would be able to have the light (LED segments) move/light up/down with the tilt of the blade!
    Sorry, maybe I got a bit carried away, but I really like how you did those sabers!

That looks a lot like a Ripper blade.

Could use smoked acrylic. It will remain blackish where it is polished only allowing light piping at the edges and where etched, done it on trades how displays. Better for night blades paint the PC silver, then several layers of black. This will block all light transmission. Now sand and etch the PC to remove paint and disrupt the polish to allow the light to pipe out where desired, also used on trade show and pop displays. If you want the shimmering effect mentioned above one idea to try would be to have the raw blade shaped electroplated in black chrome. A second possibility would be bright chrome with a heavily black tinted automotive clear coat as a topcoat. Essentially a black candy paint job. Then do the etching and edge sanding.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 12-17-2015 at 12:09 AM.