Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for future videos

Quote Originally Posted by cvsickle View Post
    I realize this may be proprietary information, but if you could give some tips or tricks to create switches like you do, I would be thrilled. I love your "high on the hilt" switch setups. I also am a huge fan of the light coming from underneath the switch thing you do, too. Again, I know you sell this stuff for a living, and I understand if you want to retain your artistic secrets.
    You are half right. Whenever I get asked this I try to respond the same way... I do not teach that technique for two reasons:
    1. It sets my sabers apart, and this is my living
    2. It's a difficult technique, and easy to get wrong, not lining up, damaging the LED/optics/threads... I screwed up a few times learning how to do it. SO I do not want others trouble with the process to reflect badly on my work.

Best advice is to budget time and $$$ in order to experiment and find what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    The blade idea is really good. In regards to mad cow style switches, the way Rob does them can be difficult. Rob, maybe you should cover a sililar technique using the 3d printed switch rings Tim sells.
    That is the plan for Jan or Feb.

I would really like to see that vid in Jan or Feb. I really like the quick response they give. Please keep us updated on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by cvsickle View Post
    I realize this may be proprietary information, but if you could give some tips or tricks to create switches like you do, I would be thrilled. I love your "high on the hilt" switch setups. I also am a huge fan of the light coming from underneath the switch thing you do, too. Again, I know you sell this stuff for a living, and I understand if you want to retain your artistic secrets.
    A modified version of Rob's switches (essentially what Ty_Bomber mentioned) can be seen if you look through my Apex saber - I included a shot of the switches and ring set up. I will echo what Rob said, his (Madcow's) way is EXTREMELY difficult to do - I know exactly what's involved, and it's definitely not fun.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Building a chassis with the TCCS system.
    Light, Dark, two sides of the same coin. So why not use both?

First of all, many thanks Madcow for the very helpful video series! Most informative and well made.

I will echo Ty_bomber, a video on Li-ion safety and best practices would be very useful. You could also talk about how you chose the right battery in your own builds, the 3.7v PC/CF hack vs. 7.4v, mAh, size, etc.

For the new comers, the very lethal amperage of the Li-ion battery packs and saber circuitry (using a PC 3.5 or the like) makes one awfully nervous! Knowing how a master saber smith wisely uses and chooses Li-ion batteries would be really helpful.

Thanks!

These days, with the premade packs that are offered in the store, making your own is not really necessary, as all of the popular configurations are stocked in the store.

Regarding which one to choose, usually it depends on the space available in the design, and whether or not the Smith in question is willing to do the "PC/CF hack", and accept the sacrifices that comes with doing that.

The mAh, is just a gauge of how long of a runtime the pack in question should give you.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 12-19-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Thanks for the insight, FJK, good to know! I should have clarified, I was more curious on Madcow's safety and best practices for Li-ion battery packs from TCSS, rather than making your own packs. Just a suggestion for Rob, since he makes such instructional and concise videos

Quote Originally Posted by Robust Stardust View Post
    Thanks for the insight, FJK, good to know! I should have clarified, I was more curious on Madcow's safety and best practices for Li-ion battery packs from TCSS, rather than making your own packs. Just a suggestion for Rob, since he makes such instructional and concise videos
    I'm still not following you. There is really nothing to battery packs, you plug them into a charger, or have them PROPERLY connected to a recharge port, and charge them that way. You don't put them near heat for any period of time, and you'll be good.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Yeah, okay, perhaps I'm overcomplicating Li-ion batteries. I'll definitely keep this in mind, thanks again for the info, FJK!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRevanIsImmortal View Post
    Building a chassis with the TCCS system.
    Perhaps also showing the best way to route wires past your speaker (if you have a recharge port in your pommel or wish to have an illuminated pommel)?