Thread: Dual Colored blade

Default Dual Colored blade

Im thinking of making a lightsaber, and I would like it to be able to switch between green and red. I want it to have sound, but I think I can only afford the Nano Biscotte (or the economy board). Given my understanding of the Biscotte board, I don't know if it is possible. Does anyone know if this is a possible thing to do with the board(s) in question?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdicus View Post
    Im thinking of making a lightsaber, and I would like it to be able to switch between green and red. I want it to have sound, but I think I can only afford the Nano Biscotte (or the economy board). Given my understanding of the Biscotte board, I don't know if it is possible. Does anyone know if this is a possible thing to do with the board(s) in question?
    The NB does not allow for "color changing" unless you have each color wired to a quick disconnect (with the appropriate resistor) AND you are willing to open up your hilt to change the wiring each time you want to change color. You would need at least the Prizm to do that. Entry level boards are "entry level" for a reason
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

FJK is correct that in a traditional setup, the NB cannot switch colors (even with a multi die led)

BUT there have been others who came up with ingenious ways of making that happen (though they have a better working knowledge of electronics then I, and their work arounds are probably beyond "entry level")

Forum Search I'd your friend!��

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...r-with-NB-v1-0
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...witching+saber

Or, like FJK said, go with an upgraded soundboard!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    FJK is correct that in a traditional setup, the NB cannot switch colors (even with a multi die led)

BUT there have been others who came up with ingenious ways of making that happen (though they have a better working knowledge of electronics then I, and their work arounds are probably beyond "entry level")

Forum Search I'd your friend!😄

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...r-with-NB-v1-0
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...witching+saber

Or, like FJK said, go with an upgraded soundboard!
    The problem is, unlike Obi1, not eveyone is an electronics expert. That's why I keep the answers simple for the most part.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    The problem is, unlike Obi1, not eveyone is an electronics expert. That's why I keep the answers simple for the most part.
    Oh, I agree, SIMPLE is always a good answer/strategy, but it can be done. Those possibilities have helped encourage me to learn more and more about electronics! I spend too many hours LATE at night google-ing and such!

I was able to set up a couple of color changing sabers with the NB by wiring a slider switch to 2 of the dies on a RGB LED. I just told the owners of the sabers to make sure they have the blade de-activated when switching between colors to prevent any possible damage to the board.

I've done this with a RRG tri-Rebel off an MR board. It's not entry-level, if by entry level you mean paint-by-numbers, but it's not complicated at all either. Basically an SPDT switch hidden inside the hilt was involved. If that doesn't sound intimidating, then reply to this message, and I'll give you more detail or draw a diagram as needed. I can't speak to the NB board since I've never used one.

You wire the 2x Red in parallel to the negative off the board and run the positive through one end of the SDPT switch. The green LED was also wired to the common negative lead, and the positive ran to the other post on the SPDT. that way you can use the board to drive either 2x red or 1x green, but not both at the same time.

It was an early build and not a pretty one, but the color-change scheme worked out because 2x red and 1x green each requires less than the 6V max that the MR board can withstand. The only real drawback (besides all the extra wire it took to run from the LEDs near the heat sink to where I put the switch) was the one inherent to using MR boards, namely that the MR board pretty consistently underdrives the LEDs. They were bright enough for a beginning concept design saber, as a workaround to the limitations of the board. It's wasn't a very elegant solution... but "If it sounds dumb and looks dumb, but it works, then it ain't dumb."

The first link that bigkevin61 listed has the same idea as the one I describe, but Don Se Won used two switches in line with the negative / ground, to allow for the color-mixing option as well. And before you ask, red+green = yellow. So, up to you. Good luck, and please post your creation when it's done! I'd love to see what you come up with.

I did this with an NB and a RGB led. I used two slider switches, one changes from red to blue and one from red to green. I can get six colors without changing out leds. There's a wiring diagram in the post too if you want it.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...rystal-Chamber
    D

That Is awesome Dgregory. Out of curiosity, what is that outer part made of (the panels and such)?