Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help installing 5V relay with MR soundboard

Default Help installing 5V relay with MR soundboard

Hello all,
    I am installing an Anikin MR soundboard into a custom saber. I want the board to operate a relay so I can drive a K2 directly from the batteries. I recall several people saying they were going to do the same thing so my question to them is did it work?, and what relay did you use? I found this relay at Radio Shack( http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search ) that I think might fit the bill, but I dont want to mess up and fry my last MR board. It says that it has a Coil rating of 5VDC, 90 mA, 55 ohms, and the switch is rated for 1 amp at 125VAC. Will this work and not fry my board?
    Thanks

Council Member
    Sith Lord

pm do clo for his relay. that is the one everyone uses
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

You could just run a 4aa or 4aaa battery pack and you would be good to go with the K2. Don't need to do anything fancy.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

True... I assume he wants to keep it to a conversion and the 3AA pack though. If you were going custom the 4AA or AAA would be okay on the K2 with the high amperage.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Thanks for the help guys.
    maul - thanks, i will ask do clo.
    james3 - I know i could use a double pole switch to power the soundboard and LED at the same time, but the problem is that the LED will go out before the sound finishes when you turn it off. With the sound board driving a relay for the LED it will stay lit untill the sound finishes.
    x-wing - I have a custom 4 AA rechargeable battery pack so I am not to worried aboout the power end of the set up, just the sync up of the sound and LED.

You are missing my point. At a 6 volt setup, the fx board will give you what you need for the k2.

the fx board runs the current through it. IT IS NOT A FIXED DRIVER. I have done ALOT of experimenting with FX boards and different power combos. It will never be a Corbin's or a ERV deal but it will do a HECK of alot more then most folks think. While not everyone agrees with me on pushing things beyond their specs, there are things that you can do that are perfectly fine. I have a FX setup right now that is pushing a royal blue 3w with a 6 volt setup and it is getting right at about 1300ma. You can squeeze a little more out of it as well but it's doing what I want for my setup.

Oh ok, I see what you are saying. Unfortunately I am not runnig at 6V because I am using rechargeable batteries. I am at 4.8V. Would it work with the lower voltage?

sure would. Do you know what your millis are?

They are 4 AA cells @ 1.2V, 2000mAh Ni-MH

Oh I bet you could drive that nicely!

Do you have a meter? You can measure your output but I am going to guess that you will be hitting your mark with that setup. The voltage is not nearly as important as the current for these things.