Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sterling - Vintage Styled MHS Lightsaber (1st Build)

I did a 1:1 internal drawing of the hilt today to see how much space I actually have for the parts. As I posted earlier, I want to try to get a CF7.5 in there.
    I was hoping for some comments from some experienced saber smiths around here on how realistic these ideas really are. From what I see it should be possible. I know I did not include the wiring, switches or jacks so far. I would think there should be enough space for 2 tactile switches and the two jacks (RICE and Charge).

What do you think?

IMG_3007.jpgIMG_3014.jpgIMG_3012.jpgIMG_3013.jpg

I think it's a bit too ambitious. You forgot some type of chassis, the switches you use will be important, as would the placement of the recharge port/RICE port.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Just some little updates here.

I have ordered a blade from SaberProject and drilled and tapped the hole for the blade retention screw - first time, pretty exciting!

I found some parts to build a blade plug from, I am probably going to to something about the top part.

I am currently waiting for some parts to get back in stock when TCSS has moved - I wish them all the best, you guys are great!

Thanks to everyone for reading or commenting on this thread, I really appreciate that.

Cheers,
    Lilac

IMG_3560.jpgIMG_3561.jpgIMG_3567.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpgIMG_3566.jpg

TCSS seems to stock many parts again now, so I was able to place another order for internal parts.

In the meantime, I spent some time with the finish:

IMG_3841.jpg
    IMG_3852.jpg

This has turned out to be more of a long-term project.

Since the last post I have ruined a NB board, ordered a new one and repainted the parts with spray paint because I didn't really like the look of the brush paint.

I also experimented a bit with the weathering and I am very happy with how it turned out. It would have been smart to seal the gold colours with a layer of clear-coat but I didn't - which caused a bit of the gold to come off when I rubbed off the black weathering coats. I am still happy with how it looks now. I wanted the saber to look like something that was made around the Episode III/IV timreframe but with a different colour scheme than the usual Metal/Chrome/Black styles. The weathering became a little more harsh than I originally wanted but I like that it now looks like it's been left on a desert junkyard for 20 years.

I still need a good location for the activation switch. That is the next step before starting to work on the electronics. Any ideas? The chassis is ready.

I'm excited to finish this thing now.
    Cheers guys!
    Lilac

IMG_8052.jpg IMG_8055.jpg IMG_8056.jpg IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg IMG_9036.jpg
    Last edited by Lilac; 07-22-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Very nice. I like the weathering and coloring.

Looking good
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

Nice work.

Looks great!

-Denzil

Thanks very much, guys!

I figured the best place for the switch would be at the front end of the deep ribbed section. In order to fit the tactile switch holder ring in there I had to cut and sand the choke section down.
    It now fits perfectly. Next step is to find the exact location for the switch hole and drill it.

BTW: has anyone ever drilled top down into the small black tactile switches and installed a small screw for a button? I'm thinking about doing that but it might be too fragile.

Cheers,
    Lilac

IMG_9052.jpg IMG_9055.jpg