Thread: My very first saber - Graflex Luke style

Default My very first saber - Graflex Luke style

Hi there!!

I'd like to know if I am on the right way in order to create kit for a saber very similar to Luke's first (Anakin last) Graflex...

Here is my list. For now I used MHS builder to choose components, and added some pieces found on graflex section on shop site... No electronics yet, but I like to add sound and progressive ignition of blade...

MHS Heat Sink V3
    MPS Pommel style 11
    MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 20 V2
    Hilt Style 1 (7" Double female threaded connector)
    7 Piece rubber grip set 3.6"
    Set of 4 short Graflex style electrical pins
    Graflex Red Button Replica Thumbscrew
    Graflex Glass Eye Replica Thumbscrew
    Replica Graflex Clamp
    Natural Card
    MPS Insert style 1

Also, I need some help about switches... What kind of switch should I buy for this design?

Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry for my bad english... )

Roberto (from Italy)

Ciao Roberto! Welcome to the forum! Seems like you have most of what you need. As for the switches, it really depends on the kind of electronics you want to put in. If you use a NanoBiscotte soundboard, you'll need a momentary switch (push button). For a stunt saber with no sound, you'll need either a latching switch or a momentary switch with a Momentary to latching converter board like this one.

After a few days of "homework", i quitted my effort of using all custom parts, and started from scratch with the "real thing". I will go for a real graflex conversion. Here is my graflex, it's coming from USA...

803217587_o.jpg

Now, I started collecting info about blades and "conversion kits". I decided to go for a ESB replica. Indeed, the only tricky task here will be the blade.

For this conversion, I'd like a very very bright blade, and I like so much the "ignition animation", so the obvious choice would be a led strip blade.

I contacted Makoto to ask him for a complete removable blade, I think a V3 or a (BRIGHTTTTT) V4 blade. I like so much his design.

I see Makoto is not too easy to contact, my email was three days ago... However if "Makoto way" will reveal unfeasible, I will go for a custom led strip build. In that case, I think the Crystal Focus LS board will do a pretty bood job, isn't it?

I will post here my progress... Maybe this thread needs to be "moved" to a graflex conversion section??

Bye
    Roberto

While my graflex is on its way, I started looking for a cyan or blue led to make the led strip.

No news from Makoto, so I think I will try doing it myself.

Here are the specs for the led I think to order:

View angle: 45?
    LED color: Blue
    Dimensions: 4.9 Dia. x 8.7 Lmm
    Shape: Round
    Light intensity: 2000 mcd
    Dominant wave length: 465 nm
    forward voltage: 3,6 V

Also, I think to fatten the tip of the led in order to maximize lateral light.

Any advice will be welcome.

Bye
    Roberto