Thread: Kenobi Transition by e57

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Kenobi Transition by e57

So... for those of you who don't dig on senseless hilt destruction and/or gratuitous displays of background projects - please look away now.

I'm calling this one Kenobi Transition because it's my lame attempt to somehow explain, in universe, how Obi-Wan's lightsaber went from a ROTS version to the ANH. To me the change has always been easily explained, and that's "maintenance": he had to fix his lightsaber and replace the ROTS parts with ANH parts. It doesn't really require too much suspension of disbelief... but a little helps. ;P The idea behind this one came from two places, the book Kenobi by John Jackson Miller and a Sideshow Collectibles statue of Obi-Wan Kenobi called Mythos. It portrays erbi a few years after ROTS on Tatooine.; he carrying 3 hilts, his, Anakin's, and Qui-gon's.

Mark III hilt
    MHS parts (ROTS back half)
    Royal blue rebel
    one 18650
    It's a stunt, because I wanted to try a few semi-new things and I like the simplicity of it.
    Btw, yes, I know the top half is not the correct ROTS, and that the ANH greeblies are backwards. It was already configured as a ROTS, and only the foreward clamp hole was threaded for the rimmed transistor greeblie.

Video:
    http://youtu.be/dJmpjMMxN6Q

Weathering of the ROTS top half. It was supposed to be a halfway point between the two - bad enough so you can see how it becomes the ANH, but not so bad that you can't see that it was a ROTS.

The switch is on the clamp, and the switch connections are 1/4" copper tape "leads" that touch when the 2 halves are connected

inspirating job and suggestive video Thanks!

Love it! Especially the chewed-up gear!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Dude..Obi-wan is my favorite character in the entire Saga and I have to tell you that not only is the saber itself a work of art - SEVERAL works of art, actually - but that video gave me serious shivers. So, SO cool.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks, guys! Always, happy to shiver ye timbers, Davy.

Probably my favorite build and back story. What book is this specifically? Did not know he still had Qui-gon's lightsaber. Wonder what it would've looked like then.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

They're separate, but if you google Obi-wan mythos, you'll see it. It's from Sideshow Collectibles, and it comes with both the older Ewan McGregor and young Alec Guinness heads, all 3 lightsabers, parts from his Clone wars armor, and random pieces of Obi-wan history. Recommend you check it out, way cool. The book is just called "Kenobi" and covers some of the same time (Tatooine, between ROTS/ANH)... but those were just inspiration sources, the rest is made up... from my head.

Absolutely amazing! I haven't read the comics/books that follow Obi-Wan after ROTS, so there was a lot in your explanation and video that I didn't know. That was a great way to explain it, and I love the lightsaber
    "A lightsaber is an interesting weapon. A blade unique in the history of warfare. A paradox, not unlike the Jedi who wield it: those peaceful warriors, who kill in the service of life. Have you ever noticed? The blade is round. It has no edge. But it is a lightsaber - which means it is nothing but edge. There is no part of this blade that does not cut. Curious, yes? Symbolic, one might say."
    ―Vergere

Blog Entries

That's very cool.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks. I swapped the LED and optics and put in a hard connection at the neck. I used a 1/8" plug, jack, and a rebel on 10mm PCB w/ mini optics - better that shining it through the whole neck. Now it's a proper field strip. AND there's enough room in the grenade section for a Plectito and mini speaker.

Last edited by eastern57; 02-05-2015 at 01:45 PM.