Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buying/making a charger

Default Buying/making a charger

I've ordered a bunch of saber parts for a LED strip blade (should be arriving in a couple of weeks) and I'm looking for a charger for my battery. I was just wondering, would it be possible to buy something like this, cannibalise it, and wire it up to my battery pack?

This is the battery I'll be using

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    I've ordered a bunch of saber parts for a LED strip blade (should be arriving in a couple of weeks) and I'm looking for a charger for my battery. I was just wondering, would it be possible to buy something like this, cannibalise it, and wire it up to my battery pack?

This is the battery I'll be using

Thanks
    What parts did you buy? I'm asking because that battery pack likely won't fit into what you bought. I also am not sure why you are using that pack.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

It's pretty small, 18mm x 65mm. I haven't ordered any of the hilt parts yet, just put in a tentative enquiry about some 35mm brass pipe. Is there something wrong with that pack?

Each one of the 4 cells in that pack is 18mm X 65mm, and they aren't THAT small.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Oh wow, that's definitely way too big, 5.1cm diameter, thanks for the heads up.

If it's just 8 cells and a pcb soldered together in series then wrapped in plastic, do you think I could cut it open and rearrange them into a triangular prism (rather than a cuboid)? That should bring the diameter down to 36mm, which would just about fit inside what I have in mind. I was planning on making a long hilt anyway, just as well

Why are you going with such a large battery pack anyway?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I'm trying to make a LED ladder blade like makoto's ones. I figure it'll work out at ~200 leds drawing 20mA each, so the blade will run at 4A total. Hence the hefty battery.

200 LEDs??
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Well sure, if it's a 1m blade, with two leds for every centimeter, then that works out as 200. That hampton guy packed them even closer by grinding off parts of the enclosure.

I think I have a space saving solution for the batteries: If I separate the cells out and arrange them in a zigzag pattern they should use the space more efficiently, doing a test with some paper now...

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    Well sure, if it's a 1m blade, with two leds for every centimeter, then that works out as 200. That hampton guy packed them even closer by grinding off parts of the enclosure.

I think I have a space saving solution for the batteries: If I separate the cells out and arrange them in a zigzag pattern they should use the space more efficiently, doing a test with some paper now...
    That Hampton guy... Oooohhh boy.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines