Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to make a violet/Purple blade?

Default Best way to make a violet/Purple blade?

I know that white blades and purple filters work... with less brightness. I've also seen the leds with 3 colors (including blue and red obviously) and 4 colored ones (again, red and blue) from the website that sells the rebel leds. While I'm partially... well... partial, to having the blade be able to switch between this purple and a red one, if its easiest to only have one color of these two then purple will most likely be my priority :P. So, help a noob out, what do people recomend for purple?

*Note I have been doing a lot of research over the past few months about this project I've embarked on. Only reason I say this, its a common response I get here :P but seriously I have an... admittedly not final but existent idea of what I'm going for

Well, Red and Royal Blue = purple, and Red is Red. So I would say get a trip-Rebel Red/Green/Royal Blue. However, it also depends on what card you use as well.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

um... Card? If you mean sound... there might not be

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdicus View Post
    um... Card? If you mean sound... there might not be
    Yes, card as in "sound card". You may want to decide what else will be in the saber, and THEN we can see what your options will be.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Point taken. TO THE DRAWING BOARD... would a sound card be necessary for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdicus View Post
    Point taken. TO THE DRAWING BOARD... would a sound card be necessary for this?
    From what it sounds like you want to do, I would highly recommend it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

If you want purple you don't have to have a sound board at all. A RGB led will work for this. Depending on the battery pack you will need proper resistors. Resistor the Blue based on the forward voltage. Resistor the red more than the forward voltage (higher ohm than the calculation requires) otherwise you will get too much red in the mix and it will be fuchsia. You will have to play with resistors to get the mix you want.

If you don't want a soundboard, then you may want to wire the LEDs in parallel with each die individually resistored. You could wire 2 switches (one for blue, one for red). With that you could make it blue, red, or purple.
    Last edited by polarcupz; 11-28-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    _______Through power, I gain victory.
    _________Through victory, my chains are broken.
    ___________The Force shall free me.

You can make purple using resiators but you asked in you post the `best` way to make purple. You should really think about getting a sound board that has RICE so you can tune your purple. Some people like a more pinkish purple, some bluer. With RICE you can really dial in the shade you want. And i find a tri with a royal blue and a red work better than regular blue and red.

Is there any way to make it with the MWS stuff? Again, without the whole White/Discs thing.
    Last edited by Nerdicus; 11-29-2014 at 07:29 PM.

That would require a custom wiring of the LED. You'd need to contact the store first.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!