Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Episode 7 Lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    Srsly tho, Disney has already stated that there really are no jedi left, so the chances of that.... thing... being used for combat is low
    Disney has said that there are no more Jedi left when episode VII comes? Weird, I don't know if I like that I already know so much of the plot before the movie comes out. I should just avoid the internet until this movie comes out..Probably would make me a more productive person..

I really love the side-vents ( as i call it) of the saber . And the idea of actual flames added to my saber is pretty sweet.
    But the 10000mcd leds and the kitchen foil do the same effect
    http://www.dropbox.com/s/vcu5c9qvzk6...955_n.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnhtmyd8n5...05217.jpg?dl=0

I agree with the usage of the term 'side-vent'. When I first saw those protrusions I didn't see them as an extension of the blade, but as two vents letting out what seems to be an excess of energy (hence the shimmering, sputtering, crackling blade). The vents seem to flicker way more than the actual blade, and it might also explain why they only sprang to life after the blade was ignited, and not simultaneously.

I'm no duellist, so all my thinking is done in terms of the fictional universe and not practical swordplay. I saw that saber as being cobbled together by someone who
    1. didn't entirely know what they were doing
    2. didn't have access to the correct materials (crystals etc.)
    3. or someone wielding a very, VERY old weapon.

Just my 2c.

i think its an incorrectly built lightsaber made by someone with little to no actual training. the crossguards i think will end up being an exhaust vent or energy blow off. also the ‘crossguard’ lightsaber is an expanded universe thing already so maybe jj will pull more from the lucas story group??

I'd go as far to say that the whole exhaust vent idea is more acceptable than a crossguard. If the blades on the sides were angled up, like say a claymore, then I could see the practicality. In the end I still see the design as a whole as being silly. Disney could've taken the safe route and stuck with a standard lightsaber.
    Honey, you've been looking for love in Alderaan places!

I can't stand the Stupidsaber [tm] but "exhaust vents" would be more [barely] tolerable than actual crossguard blades which is just moronic...yes there were 'crossguard' sabers in the EU but it was a single blade angled 45 degrees not two angled 90 degrees which would be worse than useless in a real fight [lightsabers are NOT 'swords' and IRL sword-fighting rationale for crossguards does NOT apply to lightsabers which have blades - actually the electromagnetic plasma containment fields - that BLADE LOCK on contact so guards are not necessary hence the |"lockup" sounds on our saber soundboard's soundfonts eh - does anyone really believe that in thousands of years of Old Republic saber use no one ever thought of a crossguard if they actually were needed? lol] and in fact would be extremely dangerous to the user in contact-range 'grappling' which is the only range in which such short side-blades could be used at all. Exhaust vents would be a bit more tolerable not because they would be any more useful or that much less dangerous to the user but because if it represented an inexpert user who didn't know how to make a 'proper' lightsaber or a ancient relic saber with primitive technology before true lightsabers were perfected that might be ever so slightly less stupid.

I think we are all missing the real issues here:

1. How will Hasbro make an FX version of this?
    2. Will Tim make a conversion kit for it?

Would it be compatible with the normal MHS heatsink system? I suppose Strydur could make a MHS bladeholder shaped like that but would enough light get out through the side windows to actually light up small mini-blades effectively? Maybe collimators in the side 'emitters' would help but is there enough light intensity leaking 'sideways' to begin with?

Or would it need a different kind of system with 3 separate LEDs, 2 mounted sideways with 3 separate heatsinks and collimators in which case it might be too complex and expensive?

Unfortunately as with the infamous 'black blade' most of the artists who create SW lightsaber designs onscreen do not usually appreciate the difficulties they can create for those of us trying to translate their onscreen 'vision' into real world custom illuminated props...well except for Slothfurnace who does both.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Would it be compatible with the normal MHS heatsink system? I suppose Strydur could make a MHS bladeholder shaped like that but would enough light get out through the side windows to actually light up small mini-blades effectively? Maybe collimators in the side 'emitters' would help but is there enough light intensity leaking 'sideways' to begin with?

Or would it need a different kind of system with 3 separate LEDs, 2 mounted sideways with 3 separate heatsinks and collimators in which case it might be too complex and expensive?

Unfortunately as with the infamous 'black blade' most of the artists who create SW lightsaber designs onscreen do not usually appreciate the difficulties they can create for those of us trying to translate their onscreen 'vision' into real world custom illuminated props...well except for Slothfurnace who does both.
    Actually There is a way to make a Black lightsaber similar to the way they do it in TFU and SWTOR. It looks alright, take a look *link removed*
    As for the Ep 7 Saber.... Honestly I don't see a practical purpose for the cross guard if the emitter isnt cortosis. And they didnt need vents before. But regardless of the Effectiveness, Sith only want to do two things in combat: Intimidate and win. The Tri-blade system will intimidate people not prepared for it, same as with Darth Maul or Darth Nihl.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 12-03-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Link Removed

Let's keep this to the topic, or else I will clean and lock it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com