Thread: Help with first time ROTS Anakin, ANH Luke and ESB Vader conversions

Question Help with first time ROTS Anakin, ANH Luke and ESB Vader conversions

Im very new to the whole lightsaber scene, I've been debating for a long time whether to go with a custom made, pre-converted or just basic Hasbro and MR lightsaber (to convert myself). But I mean whats the fun if you don't get to do a little handy work. I now have the ROTS Anakin and ANH Luke removable blade lightsabers on hand and Im looking to get a Vader lightsaber either ESB or ANH which is yet to be decided. Because I live in Canada, I want to get all of the parts in one order to save myself a little shipping costs. However before I pull the trigger I have a few questions on the conversions.

I have gone through the Anakin removable blade conversion posted (amazing job by the way) and there shouldnt be any troubles with that, however I wanted to use the Luxeon Tri Rebel with the RGB set up to create the full color spectrum. I was wondering what kind of modifications I would need to make in order to substitute the normal rebel for the tri-rebel. As well, is there any build configuration where I would be able to program the LEDs into making different colors via connection to my computer? Is this what a LED driver is intended to do? If someone could please shed light on the LED driver topic for me that would be great. Im not great with electrical stuff, but my friend who is an electrical engineering student has agreed to help me (thank god). Ideally I just want a build where I would be able to change the color of the lightsaber without using a white LED and color disks.

Secondly, I've seen a lot of custom made lightsabers that have a "flash on clash" mechanic and I was wondering how I would be able to set that up? It also kind of ties in with my first question of the LED build. Realistically if the RGB rainbow build is too difficult I would be willing to resort to the blue/blue/white tri rebel just to make it brighter than the normal rebel and use the white for flash on clash.

Ideally I would be using the same build for all three lightsabers the Anakin, Luke and Vader that I plan on getting in the near future.

Lastly in regards to the fact that there arent any conversion kits for the ANH Luke lightsaber, I was wondering if I would be able to buy one of the Anakin ROTS conversion kits and modify it to work with the ANH Luke. My Dad and Uncle are mechy engineers so I have access to a lot of CNC and industrial machinery. If it can be done, which of the Anakin ROTS conversions should I buy?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Last edited by SuperVillainChe; 11-28-2014 at 03:07 AM.

to make any of those into color-changing sabers, you'll need to replace the stock soundboard with either a Prizm, Petit Crouton 3.5 w/Cex (color extender), or Crystal Focus 6.5-7.5 w/Cex. To do this, you will also need to change the battery pack to a Li-ion type set up. Flash-on-Clash is built in to those boards already, so all you'd need to do is read the manuals for them, it's explained in detail there. As to which ROTS Anakin people have used in their ANH conversions, I have yet to see any of them post which kit they used, so no help from me on that, sorry.

BTE, if it were me, I'd use the Prizm for these, good balance of the features and price, and it can run on a single 3.7v Li-Ion cell for decent run-time between charges.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 11-29-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Sweet, thanks a lot for the help. Clears up a lot of things!

I took a look into the Prizm soundboard and its out of stock and I cant seem to find it anywhere else. Any idea when this would be made available again?

It's still a really new board, so it sells out reasonably fast. The other boards (PC, NB) tend to get restocked fairly fast. I've not seen anyone need to wait more than a couple weeks. You can punch the button on the store page to be notified when it becomes available again.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!