Thread: First build

Blog Entries

Default First build

IMG_3685.jpg

I officially built this for my son. Of course, it's as much for me as for him. I used the NB with a 2 watt speaker. It looks nice on the outside, but the inside is a mess. I'll clean it up as I get better with my building skills. One thing I didn't anticipate, despite comments in the forums, is the amount of space taken up by wires. I was paranoid about coming up short with a wire, so I overestimated the length on all of them. Then I had to go back and cut out the slack. Everything is still jammed in there. Given that I had no idea what I was doing, really, it is a miracle that it turned out like it did. All parts are from TCSS with the exception of some wire and heat shrink I got from a local store. I'm ready to try a new build--of course, for my son. HA!

Welcome to the Forums. Good work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Welcome and congrats on finishing your first! Saber building is definitely a learning experience but it gets easier as you go
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

It's looking good. Many people don't even go with sound in their first build, so you can be proud you got that working on your first time out.

wow! That is literally the design I used for my first saber, except I used a different hilt and a blue blade XD

Nice build though! I'm sure your son will love it :3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Elegance doesn't compromise functionality.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome!! Congrats on your first build, and beginning your next build.

Nice simple build. What blade/length did you use? =]
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Blog Entries

It's a 28 inch blade. My son is 9, so it is still long for him.

A very good selection of components, looks elegant and very sci-fi-like. I dig the matching AV-Switch lighting.

Blog Entries

This saber is no more. Inside, the wiring was a mess. It wasn't visible, but I knew it was there. I have decided it needs a chassis and a more organized way to manage the wires. I can tell this will be a never ending project. My son will probably want his saber back, so I should probably start a build for myself and tinker with that one. I ordered the MWS parts. Maybe my offspring unit will learn to put it together himself if there's no soldering involved. It'd be great if he learned something about electricity from these projects. I sure have.