Thread: Wiring Questions

Default Wiring Questions

Hello everyone!!!

I am new to this site and new to the saber building experience... I have looked through previous threads but I cannot seem to find anything on wither a constant current driver can serve as a buck puck or if i need to run them both. I also am having a hard time figuring out my wiring in general. I am getting the PC with a 7.4 li-ion 1050 mha 14650 the tri rebel r/g/b and av momentary switch a black momentary switch and the constant current driver at 1500 ma. I am trying to make an orange blade. Any advice you have or if you could point me in the right direction I would be appreciative.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forums, Tal717.

I had the same question for Erv' of Plecter Labs about that. His reply:

"the PC (and CF) indeed has a current regulator so you don't need resistor for the main LED.

Cheers,
    Erv'"

Mind you, he emphasised main LED. Depending on the rest of your set up (accent LEDs, illuminated switches, etc), you may not be able to get away from learning some basic electronics.

This may be close to what you have in mind (I am assuming a lot of things about your set up from what you provided):
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...=petit+crouton

Try to have a look and see how it compares to the saber build in your head then draw a diagram as you understand it. This forum and its members are very helpful when it comes to guiding newbies like us.

If there are any corrections, the wiser heads among us will let you know.

I started with NB myself and was quite nervous to not ruin it (did not want to waste money by ESD). Your PC is TWICE the price!

Good luck with the build and happy learning!

Welcome Tal717. I look forward to you sharing your build. Please take pics! Good Luck!

Hi Tal717!

While I am very new to this too, Ill do my best to offer some help, because I ran into similar confusion with these current/voltage shenanigans (although I'm sure the more senior members will have more insight!).

First, as Daisan said, if you're going with the PC, you do not need a buck puck or the constant current driver (if this is the driver you're referring to: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Co...iver-P609.aspx). The PC detects the forward voltage required for the main LED die and adjusts voltage to match the main LED. You do still need to manually set the current (in mA) for the main LED in the PC's config file, and this varies depending on the color of the main die. (For max current in mA for LED colors, see: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Lu...Star-P777.aspx )

Now, for an orange blade with a R/G/B Tri-Rebel, you will need to mix the red and green dies (I believe). If you're not using the Color Extender satellite board, you can achieve "pseudo color mixing" with the PC's on-board Power Extenders and various resistors. See page 29 in the PC manual: http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc....0-v1.0-GB.pdf

Or if you are using the Color Extender board, you can then more accurately mix the R/G/B die for the desired orange (or any other color). The Color Extender handles voltage like the PC's on-board driver, but you still need to set the correct mA for each die run from the Color Extender. (Also page 29 in the manual; cover-to-cover reading highly recommend!).

Alternatively, if you aren't planning on setting up a Flash on Clash effect, you could go with the single LED orange Rebel Star (which seems to be currently out of stock at the Shop?), and it would be a much easier set up.

I hope I'm not too far off on this! But after reading through similar question threads, the PC manual, and pulling my hair out, I think I'm close at least.

Hope this helps!

If you are using a PC, you won't need a buck puck or a constant current driver. I strongly recommend you read over the PC manual a couple of times. Robust is pretty accurate in his understanding of the PC.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com