Thread: LED bargraphs

Default LED bargraphs

Has anyone ever used one of these LED bargraph display things in their hilts?

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...p?number=G8942
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062560&cp

Anyone know how you wire one of those things? Is it just simple wiring of the prongs to pos & neg or what?

I'm pretty sure you need an IC chip to control those, telling them how and what to "display".
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

What if I just want all of the LEDs to light up with everything else when the power is on, no fancy power level indicating or stuff like that. I do remember the Radio Shack one saying that you need a 20 pin dip socket.

I could very well be wrong, but I think you could get away with just connecting all the wires (per side), and connecting a single wire per side to (+) and (-).

BUT, I'm not an electrical expert, so I may be wrong. It's just a thought.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

It's just a series of individual LEDs stuck together in a plastic or aluminum bar. Each LED segment can be wired up with a power source and resistor as if it was a single LED.

The ICs are just used to control the sequence they're lit in.

So pretty much just simple pos & neg wiring, awesome! I really wanna use one of those in my next hilt. Maybe in the future I can learn more about electronics and get the right parts and have the LEDs doing the Knight Rider thing.

What kinda resistor would I need for one of these things

Would this setup work?

Or one of these?
    Diagram 1

Diagram 2

Diagram 3

You have flat called Jester out!

I think somewhere along the way we discussed these before.

anywho. the kitt thing would be fun and the resitor would be based on the voltage and what the leds are rated for.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Default LED wiring

Hi all
    Since LEDs are more current sensitive than voltage sensitive, your second diagram where they're all hooked up in series would probably be a better way to go.

Corbin Das