Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can't decide EL or LED

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Default can't decide EL or LED

My brother and I have a disagreement on this subject. I like the cleanliness of led but he likes EL. Could someone give me a unbiased pros and cons of each?

This is a start... Linky

I'm partial to LED.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Ive already read that page, but basicly I was wandering about durability in dueling, and cost, sorry I didn't specify.

This will be 2 pages before you have enough info to be "Unbiased".

EL is, IMHO, Old Tech. It does provide an even amount of light throughout the blade and you can change the color just by changing the blade, but you can get a white LED and change the color of an LED with filters much cheaper than with one blade per color for EL.

LEDs are generally considered much brighter than EL with most colors.

LEDs have nothing in the blade. Therefore, nothing to break. (not that EL is easy to damage)

LED makes for an excellent flashlight in an emergency.

Also; from what I gather, EL's rattle.

All this info is biased towards LED. Like I said, I prefer LED.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Right Right

Well lets get someone whos biased twards EL and see there side.

Thanks for your time

What firebird said, I agree, LED is way better than EL in my opinion, and also EL can be damaged you can damage the wires in the EL wire and therefore ruining it and having black spots.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Default Re: can't decide EL or LED

Quote Originally Posted by vortextwist
    My brother and I have a disagreement on this subject. I like the cleanliness of led but he likes EL. Could someone give me a unbiased pros and cons of each?
    Well bud I can give ya the fairest comparison as I can. I will not say unbiased but being as that I equally enjoy and love both EL and LED tech I will share withya what I can.

EL- pros: consitant even blade. VERY easy hilt internals allow for LOTS of design options Requires LOTS of voltage but not amps. Little 12 volt alkalines work well with these. You can change colors in 2 seconds

cons: Wire in the blade can make for a heavy blade. Wire MAY pop off solder connection. other then Lime and Aqua, will be considered not as bright as LED Typically requires a more advanced knowledge of electronics.

LED- Pro's: Easy to work with, very bright. can be used as a flashlight in an emergency, can get the blade darn near weightless.

cons: Battery hogs! These need a TON of current. several different driver options avaliable to compensate but at a price. Need to at least have a little sinking. How much is highly up for debate.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Thank you. I Got a MR vader hilt coming and plan on converting it to LED. Or scavenging the parts I need to Finish my heiland I have coming too. Not sure yet what I need for the MR, Or the Heiland.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

to convert the MR all you need is
    tims awesome conversion kit
    soldering iron
    led w/ optics
    a tiny bit of wire
    basic soldering skills
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by vortextwist
    Thank you. I Got a MR vader hilt coming and plan on converting it to LED. Or scavenging the parts I need to Finish my heiland I have coming too. Not sure yet what I need for the MR, Or the Heiland.
    The Heiland will take a little more but you will like it better in the long run. The FX Vader will require a little finesse but it can be done. Will this be your first conversion?
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"