Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help wanted - Sourcing Parts in UK/Europe troubles, advice and general pointers

Default Help wanted - Sourcing Parts in UK/Europe troubles, advice and general pointers

I first came across this forum and FX site and asked why I kept being sent here they don't contain anything useful and then I discovered the forums on both sites and everything changed

I saw TCSS does not ship 7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery Pack's overseas This is where the trouble begins, where oh where can they be purchased?
    I saw side by side packs, I see side by side PCB's but not inline so it looks like project standstill or project prop this has become lol

Funny story really, two weeks ago I saw an advert for Vader Vault on a social site, was intrigued so took a look...... at first I thought OMG this is insane who would spend so much on a saber how could they cost so much and were fans being taken advantage of, I was so fascinated all I have done since in my spare time was researched
    I was amazed by some of the artists in the business making internal structures hiding electronics to make the Saber look authentic internally .......... There are some truly imaginative talented smiths out there!

Then I discovered TCSS and Plecter Labs and saw hobby potential, a challenging project etc, a chance to be creative and learn new skills
    I have watched hours and hours of videos, read countless forums and documents
    I understand a lot now which formerly confused, I am gradually getting my head round the more advanced wiring of the different boards and satellite boards, power extenders and resisters etc and am getting to the point where I will start planning parts and electronics on paper, work out what goes where and the cost etc
    I am in no rush, I intend on going for an advanced set-up for my first project, I will plan properly, build up supplies and tools and blank PCB's etc to practice soldering such small connections (my current experience is on a much bigger scale stain glass projects)

I now look at a lot of these newob posts and see how many havent done their homework and can answer many of their questions already

I am still looking to get my head round the colour mixing CoF vs dedicated LED, which LED to buy and where from, I see plenty of threads regarding the different blade types and who's are brightest, I even saw a project where a guy took the brightest LED blade and improved on it by drilling the LEDs and adding more to the chain (blades you can see in daylight)
    I like the idea of RGBW LED using CF v7 with Cex, I need to work out what needs resisters or extra Pex, I may dabble at a Crystal Chamber and incorporating battery and card holder into a framework, accent LED's and PLI, explore the different features and different wiring features
    I don't know why but spending all this money on something I create/construct is acceptable but spending all this money to purchase a saber seems madness lol goo figure

If anyone has advice, tips, do's and do NOTS!, advice of where parts can be purchased in Europe or UK all help would be greatly appreciated
    Yes I read many good forums, have book marked so many things even Ohms law and online calculators
    Even when I have everything planned out or even purchased there will be much practice with kitchen pipe and tools soldering of boards etc (this too expensive to rush and mess up lol)

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

You can try JQ Sabers In the UK for the battery pack.

I usually do not recommend people trying very advanced setups until they get some experience building sabers.

You may want to continue reading up on things here and on FX (most of us are members on both forums).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Welcome to the forums, Good luck on your build! I look forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    First off, Welcome to the Forums.

You can try JQ Sabers In the UK for the battery pack.

I usually do not recommend people trying very advanced setups until they get some experience building sabers.

You may want to continue reading up on things here and on FX (most of us are members on both forums).

Thank you for that, I had looked at them but was not aware they were uk, I will look again

Welcome to the forums!

Yes our sabers are expensive. If we were only building flashlights with sound, they'd be overpriced. But most of us here are creating something more. We're building ART. We're building dreams, and fantasy, and recreating that feeling when you first saw a lightsaber ignite on the silver screen. And for that, I think we're getting a bargain.

I also recommend starting with a simple build for your first saber. It's always possible to upgrade later, or to build a better one for your next saber. I think you'll find that it's hard to stop at just one.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Yes our sabers are expensive. If we were only building flashlights with sound, they'd be overpriced. But most of us here are creating something more. We're building ART. We're building dreams, and fantasy, and recreating that feeling when you first saw a lightsaber ignite on the silver screen. And for that, I think we're getting a bargain.

I also recommend starting with a simple build for your first saber. It's always possible to upgrade later, or to build a better one for your next saber. I think you'll find that it's hard to stop at just one.

There is much reward in stretching yourself and overcoming a challenge, buy cheap buy twice, I see no reward in building a torch If you take your time thoroughly reseach, practice techniques on DIY goods from local stores, map everything out on paper cost up the parts, research what and where from and work out how you are best going to piece it all together, what/how you are constructing etc you learn a lot and gain a lot

I do understand you cant build a sky scrapper without laying down the foundations

trial runs will set the bar with what will and will not be a realistic reach
    A sensible workable internal stucture, a frame to build and develop a working feasible lvl of creativity and start shaping the artistic side..... I am not sure if it is ok to plug smiths or builders but there are some inspiring Graflex, MMP etc builds but one smith in particular who hides all wires and creates a core which resembles what a working saber could look like when the casings are removed who give you fuel for thought and a vision to aspire to and a skill to develop, acid etching etc, anyway one thing I found is I appear to be very passionate about it and singly focused with research lol, my journey has just begun that much I do know, where it will lead nobody knows.

One thing I will say, I have never seen a forum respond to posts like the community interested in sabers, you guys make one feel at home from the get go, I had no idea all of this scene existed I am made up having discovered it, I remember so fondly as a kid collecting the star wars cards, I still remember the smell and taste of the bubble gum, the star wars figures we all played with and the light saber I played with, I remember seeing star wars on the big screen when it came out back in 77 I still have the original 3 movies on VHS (but only watch my DVD's lol) even the clone wars and the new rebels I like, I even had an originall 1977 novel until it ruined in a flood the extended world of the books I did not follow but have on audio waiting for a listen I sadly missed the show displaying all the props a few years back and never went to conventions, maybe my venture into sabers will change that lol

Welcome to the forum!

I had difficulty in sourcing the Li-ON battery as well (Australia-based). RS-Online was the one that finally delivered for me and coincidentally, they said (when I asked how come the battery takes about two weeks to arrive) that the battery is imported from their UK branch/site. Might be worth checking if JQ doesn't pan out.

Just be mindful that the 7.4V (side-by-side 18650) pack will NOT fit in the hilt.

Good luck on your plans and eventual build.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisan View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I had difficulty in sourcing the Li-ON battery as well (Australia-based). RS-Online was the one that finally delivered for me and coincidentally, they said (when I asked how come the battery takes about two weeks to arrive) that the battery is imported from their UK branch/site. Might be worth checking if JQ doesn't pan out.

Just be mindful that the 7.4V (side-by-side 18650) pack will NOT fit in the hilt.

Good luck on your plans and eventual build.
    Thanks, How funny, yes I check RS but alas only side by side, Remote Controlled cars, planes type stores only had rectangle ones, it's funny JQ was one of the first sites I looked at when I was looking at all the sabers prices n styles after I first discovered this whole saber world/community but that was before I discovered you could build your own so never looked at parts and prices so never saw JQ was UK based

I am at the start of my quest, I have a lot to learn about electronics and planning what goes where, how much and where from
    I need to work out sizes how I am going to construct the inner framework so it is tidy hidden secure and everything is accessible/functional and logical
    Plan out the externals to fit the internals etc.
    I have to look into some new smaller tools, some bigger tools and some for metal rather than wood, probably extra attachment for my dremel bigger vices, smaller soldering iron etc.
    Decide how things will look when done (lots of sketches, diagrams and lists etc).
    I will practice a lot of cutting shaping soldering etc before working on the actual materials, I like how shrouds and various bling can transform a plain shape, acid etching is a new thing seen, I am curious and like the results seen but again something I need to learn about and practice.
    I need to research what parts are better than others, where you can get certain things, RGBW LEDs are appearing to be illusive too
    metal tubes wires rings, disks, screws and bolts and plastic one too, to make frames crystal chambers etc, it amazes me where people find things to use
    Mostly I like the challenge because its all things I have never done before or know how to do, I like a challenge, to stretch myself and won't quit until conquered almost singly focused to the point of obsession lol
    It's going to be a very long slow interesting journey

OK today Learnt ohms law and how to work out resisters size and where they go, which is anode and cathode/red wire black wire etc, may not be much to you guys but for me I feel like I really made a big step and am making a start to my wiring diagram

A question about LED's I see the pictures in the shop are now discontinued models, what are the current diodes and are there RGBW ones, if not is there a UK supplier? (I looked at JQ)

Quote Originally Posted by v1b1n View Post
    OK today Learnt ohms law and how to work out resisters size and where they go, which is anode and cathode/red wire black wire etc, may not be much to you guys but for me I feel like I really made a big step and am making a start to my wiring diagram

A question about LED's I see the pictures in the shop are now discontinued models, what are the current diodes and are there RGBW ones, if not is there a UK supplier? (I looked at JQ)
    The Tri-Rebels, and "Tri's" in general replaced the RGBW's because the Tri's are more "energy efficient" and just as bright.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com