Thread: HDD stator removal

Default HDD stator removal

Does anyone have tips on how to get the staters out of HDD's without destroying them in the process?

Not too sure what you mean by the starters, but usually it comes down to having the right tool for the job. Most screws within the hard drive itself use a star screw and you would just need the right type of bit on your screwdriver.
    screwdriver-1.jpg
    The above statements GREATLY depends on what battery solution as well as what sound card you plan on using to run your saber. Limitations will probably apply. Your mileage may vary. Any visual impairments are the sole responsibility of the saber builder/user. - Forgetful Jedi Knight

This is what I meant. Technically its called a stator coil. But it's pressed on, and glued, so is very difficult to remove. I have managed but with significant damage to the part in the process.
    I'm referring to the wire coiled part in the middle.
    Hard_disk_dismantled.jpg

You can use a drill bit slight larger than the center post holding it in and try to slowly and carefully drill it out from the back side.

looks like youtube has a lot of videos on how to disassemble a hard drive. On guy just used dull nail to punch out the bearing.

Yeah, the bearing is pretty easy, pop it with a bolt and hammer and out it comes. I don't have a good answer for the OP either though, the coils are usually the best part of the drive and also the most difficult to get out without mangling...

Solved my own problem recently after having a batch of old HDD's to experiment on.
    Simplest solution is to drill 2 or more holes on the outside of the drive case such that the holes will line up with the stator center cylinder sides.
    It helps that there is usually a small gap between the stator and the case so that drilling carefully you can drill through without drilling into the stator coil.
    From there, use a small punch to gently knock the spindle off the center post that it is pressed and glued on to.
    If you're not gentle, you can get some warping but that can be easily rectified with a little thumb pressure to get the circle flat again.
    You won't be able to use the coil for any actual motor as the wire leads into the coils will be ripped off.
    But, for saber building, it will do nicely for any decorative part.

IMG_3054.jpgIMG_3055.jpgIMG_3056.jpgIMG_3052.jpg
    Last edited by A Pieroway; 08-01-2016 at 07:30 PM.