Thread: Red LED Ignorance

Default Red LED Ignorance

I'm ignorant when it comes to resistors. I have a Nano Biscotte v2, 2W 28mm Bass Speaker, momentary switch, battery holder (2 AA), and a Red Led LEDENGIN. The issue I'm having is that when everything is hooked up and powered on, swing and clash effects keep going off randomly. I made sure the board wasn't moving or hitting something and the issue remained. I read that another Jedi (see what I did there) was having the same issue and all he needed to do was attach a resistor to solve the problem. However, he had a different setup. Upon purchasing a 1w 10ohm resistor, the sound issue was fixed BUT the light was very VERY dim. So, no good. I read on the main site that I needed a 2w 1.5ohm resistor (which is not available at Radio Shack over here). Before I order this part: Will a 2w 1.5ohm resistor solve the problem? The battery powering the whole get-up is a Tenergy 14500 800mAh 3.7v 2.96Wh. Just one. I read that the board is good for 3.7v-5.5v. So, ignorance showing again, I'm using one dummy cell and one 3.7v battery as to not over power it (cause two 3.7v batteries equals 7.4v, correct?)
    Sorry for the short story and thanks for any and all help.

A 1.5 Ohm 2W is what you would need. The dimness could partially be the resistor, or the fact that you have overdriven the LED and damaged it (not too likely, but possible). LEDEngin's are very power hungry (one of the several reasons why we don't use them much anymore). When you use the NB sound card, you need to properly calculate the resistor you would need (using Ohm's Law).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I freaked out and thought I had damaged it, but fortunately it is ok. Gotta say, this forum has amazing response time. Thank you so much!