Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New guy odd setup/ request

Default New guy odd setup/ request

Ok guys here's the story I'm new to this but a good friend of mine has a 7 year old son who is terminally Ill with a rare inoperable brain tumor. So come his 8th birthday January 26th we are planning to take him to Disneyland and he will have his own lightsaber. Because of his age and condition we are wanting to make a very small and light weight expensive flashlight. So please help me in anyway you can. He's wanting a small Yoda (his favorite character) like saber that just lights up and do to only having motor control on one side of his body will be a single handed saber.

Body:
    Pommel style 1
    4 inch extension tube
    Blade holder style 23 w/ tap service 8-32

Electronics:
    Spst latching guarded switch
    700ma Buck Puck
    Rebel star LED & mhs heat sink in royal blue
    LED "tcss style" battle blade 28-32 inches undecided

I know the obvious thing I am missing is a battery which is why I need some advice I was thinking of running a A23 style battery setup here are the specs:
    A23 12v 55 mah each I'll be using 4 of those dimensions for the battery holder is 1.41 inches long, .98 inches high and 1.04 wide. I'm just not sure this will provide enough power

My other thought was a E90 battery setup:
    E90 is 1.5v 400 mah each the 4 of those would be 12v 1600 mah the holder measures 1.45x1.08x1.08

Any other input is greatly appreciated as I'm green the the ways of lightsaber building.

First of all my heart goes out to that child and his family. Any little joy you can bring him at this time priceless. I have a 3 yr old son and could not even imagine the hardship.

could you use 4 AA with the holder in the store, it would make swapping batteries on the fly a lot more convienient. Also I would use the show blade instead of the battle blade. it will be brighter and lighter. They are plenty strong. Only need the battle blade if you are full force contact dueling.
    Last edited by snilam; 09-25-2014 at 10:38 AM.

My concern was fitting inside such a small space. We will be doing to battle blade because he plans on fighting with it (with assistance).

Don't let the name fool you. The show blades are still tremendously durable. The battle blades are significantly heavier, and may give him trouble. My wife and I do full force sparring with the thin-walled blades and they still show no damage (other than a few scuff marks) after 3 years.

I'm not sure what batteries you're looking at, but a 12v pack is more than you'll need. I would switch the BuckPuck to the 1000mA version, and use a 7.4v li-ion pack. Or you could use a 3.7v li-ion pack and a resistor, and it'll take up less room in your hilt.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Right. You could also opt for a mhs v2 since it has smaller diameter parts. You can easily fit a single 18500 or 18650 battery in there with a recharge port on a stunt setup.

So you guys think the 4 pack of AA batteries will fit fine since the switch will be located in the pommel?

I think your better alternative is to use 1 14500 Li-ion battery (AA sized) which is 3.7V and a resistor. You can use a 2AA holder and use one dummy cell. You can always feet extras handily (though I doubt you would constantly fight for more than 30 minute at time). THAT would likely be your best bet.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I would definitely recommend the MHS v2 for a one handed saber, especially for a child...

I'm sorry to hear the story, It's not a easy situation to deal with...

I use MHS v2 for my sabers, and can fit a 18650 3400mAh battery and a nano biscotti in a 5 inch section of MHS v2, so you could easily make a stunt work,

or you could do a 6-7 inch v2 main body with v2 pommel and v2 emitter and get a full saber with sound for the little guy...
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler

What's wrong with a single AA battery holder and the 14500? Knowing this kid he would want to have it on for a long time like 1-2 hours at a time. But I think just keeping extra batteries around would be a better option.

A single 14500 holder would be good, if you have one. If you use a 14500 (which is AA sized) depending on how you run the LED, you may only get an hour of runtime.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com