Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Starting a build thread for fun

I downloaded a font i dont remember where, i did a google search for "aurebesh font" and picked the first result. I then printed it ou and brought the font file to a store that makes vinyl stickers and had them make me a sheet with my txt. Applied it to my hilt pieces then packing taped the rest really well. Mixed up 2:1 ferric chloride to water. Dunked it for roughly 10 min. Rinsed with water. There are multiple tutorials in here for the actually etching parts. The acid is also called pcb etchant from radio shack

Thanks, I may have to incorporate one or both of those on my saber. You know for a saber build for fun, this turned out to be an incredible saber!

Thank ya. I believe if you come at a creative project for fun your final product will be much better. When you get impatient and frustrated thats when a creative project becomes a burden. I actually find the build process more rewarding than the completed saber itself. Sometimes its the journey and not the destination.

So True, the journey sometimes is where the fun is at. I think that is going to be very true for me as well. I am glad your saber turned out so very nice too. You got the journey and the destination!

Thank you for the info! I'll definitely be using it!

Your saber is an amazing piece,hopefully my build looks as good as yours!
    -Viper

Cant wait to see it!

now that I think about it. on the acid to water ratio it was 2:1 but I had done a bunch of test pieces before hand and in the beginning the etch was a little to fast and actually uneven, but then it settled out a bit. I'm guessing the acid weakened after a few test pieces. So I might suggest 2.5:1 acid to water. Do some tests first your results may vary. Also air bubbles are the enemy on your stencil especially when close to your unprotected areas you are etching. Keep your acid mixture you can use it again and again. And remember add your acid to your water not water to acid. Have a dunk tank of water handy next to your acid in case your etch starts going to fast and you can dunk it to stop the reaction. And wear gloves and eyewear you don't want to burn yourself and not be able to hold or see your saber! Lay down a mat it will stain concrete, if you care about your garage anyway. I now have a small rust looking stain on my garage floor. Its ok it goes nicely with the oil from my leaking subie.