Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video: Drill and tap your blade retention screw

Default Video: Drill and tap your blade retention screw

Some helpful tips on where to place your blade retention screw, and how to do it yourself.

http://youtu.be/nGqiw4dorDs

I recall this was one of your Shop Secrets Video, I found them amazingly helpful, thanks so much!!! Especially the one about making a shroud from a sink tube! Keep doing such tutorials, I for one am always keen on learning from the true masters!

i was getting ready to do this to one of my sabers and was looking for how to's on tapping screws the other day! thank you.

Thank you for sharing this. Helps out on future projects.
    _____________,.~-{o}-~.,____________

Why is everyone using a screw to fastened the blade, why not use another method? Am i missing something? Doesn't piercing the blade weaken it?
    Sorry for the somewhat bad english, im french but i try.
    SON OF A SITH!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgal Pain View Post
    Why is everyone using a screw to fastened the blade, why not use another method? Am i missing something? Doesn't piercing the blade weaken it?
    Sorry for the somewhat bad english, im french but i try.
    The screw does not go into the blade. It presses against one side of of it creating a pressure fit.

So theres no reason preventing me to use another method, good to know.
    Thank you.
    SON OF A SITH!

Blog Entries

I believe a lot of methods have been discussed or tried, but the retention screw proves to be the most feasible/economical solution. Good luck with your experimentation and be safe. It would not be good to have a blade flying out and hitting someone or something.

The goal is to have no screws if possible, to have everythi ng thightened by hand.
    And no worries, security is a concern.
    SON OF A SITH!

You can use a thumbscrew if you don't want to need a tool when you remove the blade.

OR you can use a set screw if you don't want a visible screw holding the blade in place, but you'll need a small tool to tighten it.

If you'd like to experiment and find a different solution, go for it. The blade retention screw is not the only way to hold a blade in place, but it is the simplest and most economical method to do so, and it holds blades very well.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!