Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Curved hilt

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, PVC is easy... here's Ultra's Dark Initiate V2:

RED LEADER Standing by!

I have also seen vacuum cleaner extension tubes used. They are curved and about the right diameter. they can be ordered as replacement parts I believe....
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

that black PVC saber looks great.

the only way i've been able to think of doing it with tims parts involves a blowtorch and something with quite a large circumference to bend it around.

the crude and inefficient methods are always the best.

at some point i'll get a 1 1/2" sink tube and try it. its just pricy (and slow) having things sent to england.

why not just get a curved section of a sink tube
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

In all honesty i didn't know what a sink tube was until i came here. oh the trouble i had working out what a heatsink was!

how thick are tims peices?
    i'm doing a big order next year (when i have xmas money and postage pricing comes down again) and i'm considering altering my design if it possible to bend one of the double grooved hilt peices. the only thing i worry about is warping the threading of the connectors. i don't mind burnishing on the top as this is i will call 'character'!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Bending a double connector after the fact would be practically impossible. It's only like 2 inches long. You'd rip the thing apart.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Is it even possible to bend a sink tube? The brass is pretty thin.

I can imagine what might happen, the inside of the bend creasing or splitting; or the outside of the bend splitting. Has anyone tried bending a sink tube?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

i havent done it but with a soft metal like brass it would tear.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

I had limited success making relief cuts a little more than half way through the tube. The curve was then wrapped in leather. This is a very delicate solution though. I spread JB weld across the cuts inside the tube and between the cuts. I let it cure for a couple of days, even so a few minutes of rough handling by it's owner broke most of the JB weld. I haven't worked on a hardware saber since, but I think if I'd reinforced it somehow it might work. Perhaps fiberglassing the inside of the curve, instead of JB weld.

Cheers,

JM