Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone!

Default Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone,

I have been here about a week learning my way around, and watching video's and reading, and reading and reading. I am excited to start a build. I come from a construction background so I have no problem with the challenge of building a saber with wiring and parts, I just have many, many schematics to bookmark, and have bookmarked them for easy retrieval. Thanks to all who have put together this site for the average Joe who remembers watching the first run of the movies in the theaters and always wanted his own lightsaber, (I sure this gives away my age, but I don't mind). I am sure I will make mistakes, but glad to have those who have the skill, and techniques I do not have to do this correctly.
    I look forward to posting a parts list and getting feedback on my many wiring questions! lol!
    Again, thank you TCSS for having this forum!

Setelf (a.k.a Randy)

Welcome. I'm relatively new aswell, everyone here is friendly and are always willing to give a helping hand. Looks like you have been reading up alot already and also the search function is handy since most questions have been asked many times before. Cant wait to see what you build!

Welcome to the forum and the world of saber building! Definitely take your time to read up on everything and don't be afraid to ask questions ... and have fun!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Welcome to the forums! We have members here of all ages, so don't worry about that. A love of lightsabers is all that is required here.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks everyone for your support and warm welcome....I will ask a lot of questions...I am already working on a wiring diagram for my future build. I am ready to start doing some minor tests and ordering my beginning parts.
    I do have a question on obtaining parts... Other than here is there another parts place? Many of the parts I would like to use are not in stock, Like the CF, I can go with the PC, but the PC V3 color extender is also out of stock. It seems Erv is the man when it comes to Saber electronic parts. I really want to use his parts everyone seems love his work, but if he is not longer making them is there an alternative source? I am willing to wait if he is planning on production again. Everything I have read his parts are the best parts hands down. Any suggestions or help there?

Give "Plecter Labs" a quick Google and you'll find Erv's site. He's still cranking out tons of new things every day. If you want a CF, that's the place to go.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Give "Plecter Labs" a quick Google and you'll find Erv's site. He's still cranking out tons of new things every day. If you want a CF, that's the place to go.
    Thanks Silver Serpent,
    I have been there, he is on a break, or stopped for a while, even he is out of a little more than half his normal inventory. Is there another custom board maker making something on that level of sound board, I would love to take a look. I am not down playing the shop here, I can find about 99% of what I am looking for, its that 1% of unique things I am having a little trouble with.
    But thank you I am glad to get any help or suggestions -- Erv has a great page by the way with tutorials, and great teaching videos. I have bookmarked his page as well.

Erv's products are in fairly regular demand. You just have to keep checking back in. It's a lot easier to score a CF these days, but you still have to keep watch.

I do recommend starting with a less complex board. The NB or PC can usually do everything you need in your first saber. Trying to add all the bells and whistles to your first saber can be overwhelming. Some people have succeeded, but many more have bitten off more than they could chew (the first time around).

Besides Erv, there is also Naigon. While I personally have no experience with his boards, many other sabersmiths have used them. His product line is similar to the Plecter family of boards, and has a lot of the same features. I'm a Plecter guy myself, so I'll recommend the Plecter boards every time, though the Naigon products have a solid reputation.

Check out www.saberfont.com for available fonts for both Plecter and Naigon sound boards.

Any other companies that produce sound boards are not discussed here.

Been waiting for a CF for a while. Hopefully erv will get a batch out soon, and hopefully ill ne lucky enough to get one. Color extenders are out here and ervs site too

When last I spoke to him, he was awaiting an order of component parts so he could finish up some thing. Patience is a virtue.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com