Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wooden katana hilt

Thanks setelf, I appreciate the input. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the bark on there better? It is starting to flake near the edges of where I had to cut it. Would the polyurethane help with that?

Quote Originally Posted by JediCarpet View Post
    Thanks setelf, I appreciate the input. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the bark on there better? It is starting to flake near the edges of where I had to cut it. Would the polyurethane help with that?
    JediCarpet, I don't think you can 'seal' the bark to 'stay on' with Polyurethane. Under combat use the thin edge would crack and the bark would come off anyway. Is it coming off in pieces or can you get it off in one piece?
    If you can get it off in one piece:
    1 You could stain the wood first, sand lightly where the bark is to go back on, then use wood glue to glue the bark back on, if you want the bark to stay. BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU STAIN for two reasons the fumes are strong, use proper ventilation, and most wood stains like Minwax are stain and Polyurethane together. It sets up quickly and you may not get the color you want. You would have to re-sand the whole piece to re-stain. I like the stain and polyurethane separate so if I want it to be slightly darker I can add more stain to get what I want. With the others like Minwax you only get one shot.
    If it’s coming off in pieces:
    2 I would consider removing the rest of the bark, stain the whole thing, and as you posted before and then wrap the grip in leather.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

You should consider a compound to prevent the saber from catching fire due to heat a common compound used in rifle building is a liquid metal compound like JB weld or something. Here is what I use for all of my rifles from my $300 plinkerz up to my $6000 Kimber long range competition rifle.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/228...dding-compound

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the liquid metal to coat the interior.

I ended up wrapping a 3 mm dark green leather strap around it and I'm thinking of engraving aspects of the Sith Code into it.

I also lent it to a friend for Halloween. I'll post pictures when I get it back...(Likely when the battery dies. I kept the charger for my other saber)

The green leather wrap would be a nice touch keeping with the forest motif. Can't wait to see it in finished pic's.