Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Costume coming together...but I need some opinions and ideas!

Default Costume coming together...but I need some opinions and ideas!

Hey all.

Getting a costume together to go with the sabers I built, and I was going to build some armor. Here is the costume thus far:

The armor is only going to be partial, just a breastplate to begin with (you know, for that occasional blaster bolt that slips through ), with more parts possible in the future.

The question is, what color should I make it? Everything thus far is basically green and silver/grey, with a bit of black and gold thrown in. I was shopping in Home Despot today for some spray paints, and hit a brick wall when trying to choose some color.

I could go with a sage green, a darker green, an olive, a dark grey metallic, or possibly a bronze metallic. I'll be getting some gold paint for making some food capsules for the belt, so whatever I picked, I was going to do some painter's taping on the base color and add some gold highlights.

I'm leaning toward the sage green (about the same color as Kao Cen Darach's armor in the Old Republic trailer) or the dark grey metallic (a very dark steel color). But maybe some people with actual taste could throw around a few opinions.

Thanks in advance.

For the color pallette you have, I would opt for a gun metal armor with some gold accents. I just think it would tie in very well with the colors you are already working with.

In fact, I think a brass/gold top coat weathered to show a gunmetal "raw" armor underneath would probably be perfect.

I'd been waffling about "new" vs "weathered" as well. What are some good ways to create the weathered look? I read somewhere about painting the basecoats and letting them dry thoroughly, then smearing some toothpaste on the spots you wanted to show through the topcoat as the weathered areas before spraying on the topcoats. Then you can just wipe/wash the toothpaste off. Are there better ways people are using?

Thats certainly a tried and true method. I think a "gilded" breastplate that hasseen lots and lots of use, maybe even passed down through the order, would be coolest.

I'll see what I can do. The worst that happens is I do some sanding and paint over my shame.

Stay tuned.

So, I grabbed a few things and a junk/test piece and gave it a shot.

Its just a hammered metallic black base coat with a dark bronze overcoat. It turned out ok, but I learned that when I go to make the actual pieces, to put more thought into where the weathering goes.

I'm also thinking of putting a stripe or stripes of some sort on the pieces, probably a dark green to go along with the rest of the outfit. Nothing too large, just something to break up all the bronze a bit. Other suggestions?

Looks good. If it were my armor I would do a metallic green or a brass ring framing the piece. Just along the outer edge of the piece to provide something to draw the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Looks good. If it were my armor I would do a metallic green or a brass ring framing the piece. Just along the outer edge of the piece to provide something to draw the eye.
    ^This. Initially I thought a sage or olive green would tie in nicely. On second thought, however, the gun metal idea or even green or dark bronze distressed with a raw look underneath would be a fantastic idea as well. The sith folks like myself have it relatively easy with lots of gray, silver, black and red.

Yeah, I don't really have a goal as far as Jedi/Sith/Other. Just sort of putting together a costume with green, grey, and gold. Tans get so...boring. Maybe Corellian Jedi, or perhaps just someone who isn't too closely associated with the Temple, and sort of does his own thing.

Anyway,

Here is how it is turning out. I'll throw up some other pics when the other pieces are done and assembled. Thanks for the suggestions.

Coming along great. Lets see how it looks with the robes!